didn't seem cold enough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ranger

First off today. Road was sheet ice from one side to the other, luckily it was a left turn so nothing was damaged. The most surprising thing was not even any clothing ripped and I slid a good few metres down the road, but not as far as the bike which starting heading back to the main road I had just turned off.

Glad to hear you are OK. I was a wee bit cautious leaving my flat in Granton, some of the roads there looked like they could be icy too.

OP
OP
R

Ranger

fossyant said:
Take it easy on ice....or don't ride..

Normally take the car to be honest, but there wasn't any ice when I set out. It only seemed to be bad for around a mile around Kirkliston (by the Forth Bridge) but otherwise was fine.

For some reason the only bruise seems to be coming out on my right hand, despite falling to the left.

gavintc

Guru
Ranger said:
First off today. Road was sheet ice from one side to the other, luckily it was a left turn so nothing was damaged. The most surprising thing was not even any clothing ripped and I slid a good few metres down the road, but not as far as the bike which starting heading back to the main road I had just turned off.

No, I agree this morning seemed quite mild. I did not even need gloves on my short journey to the station.

Tynan

Veteran
Certainly mild in N London but raining and very gusty, blowing something like a gale now

and yes, it was the wrong sort of wind too, either in the face or trying to help the very heavy pannier (the library want some books back) pull the bike over

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
DLB said:
got soaked on commute in south yorkshire. Was great fun as there was no ice

You were out in that??

cage day today:biggrin::biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Ranger said:

Bad luck - though happily, like I did experienced before Xmas, the sheet ice just means a slide along the street with no rips or tears. Hope you're not too sore tomorrow.

Work colleague did the same today, but got some lovely road rash, a busted watch-face and a torn jacket for his troubles. I made it in OK, but with my nerves all but gone after a hairy trip from Leith to the Gyle. Even the roads were dangerously icy when I got on them.

Some poor soul downed on the roundabout at the Gyle too, apparently. Police and ambulance were in attendance. Hope they're OK.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ranger said:

join the club :thumbsup: came over the Forth road bridge and down into Kirkliston, the temp dropped loads :biggrin:, exiting Kirkliston there is a left turn takes you over a wee bridge well did my dancing on ice impression :biggrin: and went flying. No massive damage, handle bars squint and brake lever decidly dodgy but its ok, don`t need it on my fixed :biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Given the freezing wind on the way home tonight, coupled with the fact that the ground was wet and starting to freeze again in patches the closer I got to Leith, I'm wimping out tomorrow and taking the bus for safety's sake. I don't think my 2008 luck for not falling off on ice is going to hold much longer.

In any case, my rear brake has gone and I've just ordered two new sets of disc brake pads. I'm not going out 'half-braked' in this weather :biggrin:

Plax

Guru
Oooh, sounds not very nice. I enjoyed my commute today. Even though it was raining there was hardly any wind. I am developing quite a worrying enjoyment out of cycling in the rain :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
I was almost no braked today, back is unhooked to allow for horrid buckle and the front needs adjustment real bad, not clever spec in the wet, had some dicey braking moments, braking power akin to dragging maybe one foot on the ground

tsk, going like the clappers with a very strong wind behind me too

no ice though, outright mild

and soaking wet

OP
OP
R

Ranger

MrGrumpy said:
join the club :biggrin: came over the Forth road bridge and down into Kirkliston, the temp dropped loads :smile:, exiting Kirkliston there is a left turn takes you over a wee bridge well did my dancing on ice impression :biggrin: and went flying. No massive damage, handle bars squint and brake lever decidly dodgy but its ok, don`t need it on my fixed :wacko:

Oh I nearly went off there as well, and at the traffic lights in Kirkliston. Went very slowly on the way home and drove in today, with a really purple right hand

Top Bottom