Diecast Models Anyone ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Here is my 1/43 scale model

IMGP4923.JPG

Ah, the good old days when it was acceptable to advertise cancer sticks on racing cars...

You have to admit, some of the best / most memorable motorsport liveries of yesteryear were tobacco ones...

Gold leaf (the first ever) and JPS on the Lotuses. Rothmans on the works Group C Porsches, works Opel rally cars and then, a decade later, on the Williams F1 cars. Skoal Bandit on the RAM F1 cars and a privateer Porsche, Marlboro on the McLarens for about 20 years. And of course, the Silk Cut livery on the Jaguars.

A lot of drivers had personal sponsorship from the two big tobacco companies involved in motor racing (Camel & Marlboro), and this often affected which teams drivers could sign for, as a Camel driver couldn't sign for a team that received money from Marlboro etc. This affected drivers in junior formulae as well, not just F1 and Sportscars.

It's the main reason why Paul Warwick had to turn down an offer to go drive for West Surrey Racing in the '89 British F3 championship, and why he ended up at Intersport instead. But that's another story and not entirely relevant here.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
You have to admit, some of the best / most memorable motorsport liveries of yesteryear were tobacco ones...

Gold leaf (the first ever) and JPS on the Lotuses. Rothmans on the works Group C Porsches, works Opel rally cars and then, a decade later, on the Williams F1 cars. Skoal Bandit on the RAM F1 cars and a privateer Porsche, Marlboro on the McLarens for about 20 years. And of course, the Silk Cut livery on the Jaguars.

A lot of drivers had personal sponsorship from the two big tobacco companies involved in motor racing (Camel & Marlboro), and this often affected which teams drivers could sign for, as a Camel driver couldn't sign for a team that received money from Marlboro etc. This affected drivers in junior formulae as well, not just F1 and Sportscars.

It's the main reason why Paul Warwick had to turn down an offer to go drive for West Surrey Racing in the '89 British F3 championship, and why he ended up at Intersport instead. But that's another story and not entirely relevant here.

Benson and Hedges on Jordan cars.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

Gold leaf (the first ever) and JPS on the Lotuses.
My favourite GP cars, they looked fantastic.

presta

Guru
Fred resurrection.
Got given this Matchbox 1961 Commer Milk Van last month. Someone had covered it in thick paint, several coats of it by all accounts. Used oven cleaner to get the paint off the metal, and nail polish remover from the plastic parts. Repainted it with Tamiya model paint and polished the plastic glass with T-cut. Got the transfers from eBay.

View attachment 691741

View attachment 691742

View attachment 691743

View attachment 691744

View attachment 691745

View attachment 691746

View attachment 691747

View attachment 691748

View attachment 691749

View attachment 691750
I used to have that one when I was a kid.

When I outgrew my toys and got rid of them my father rescued this Matchbox model of a John Fowler showman's engine:

ine-1924-rare-59bc2964-b0ee-4308-bfcf-fec85c506e09.jpg

I think it was him who bought it in the first place, and it lived on the mantlepiece for decades, but I don't know where it's gone. I think I tidied it away somewhere a few years ago, but I can't find it now.

Top Bottom