Diesel danger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Just want to remind everyone of the danger of diesel spillage, cycling to work in Lancaster this morning on the junction on King St and damside St came off on diesel spillage, helmet saved me from serious injury just a cut to the face, rang police to tell them and tried to stop others going down too, keep eyes and nose peeled is the answer I usually smell diesel must have missed it.

byegad

Legendary Member
I went recumbent 3 wheels 10yrs ago due to balance issues.

Diesel is far less of an issue on 3 wheels, it's nearly impossible to fall off. However, over the last ten yrs I've noticed far more diesel spills on roundabouts each year. As you say it's lethal for two wheels.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Just want to remind everyone of the danger of diesel spillage, cycling to work in Lancaster this morning on the junction on King St and damside St came off on diesel spillage, helmet saved me from serious injury just a cut to the face, rang police to tell them and tried to stop others going down too, keep eyes and nose peeled is the answer I usually smell diesel must have missed it.

What's it got to do with the police, unless you saw someone deliberately putting it down? Council surely.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It shows up pretty well on a wet road in daylight (blue or rainbow slick) but is hard to see in the dark. Best advice is to try not to ride on the part of the corner where it gets shed; in the middle of the lane is usually ok, although Farmer Palmer's tractor seems to wazz it everywhere.

spen666

Legendary Member
I went recumbent 30 wheels 10yrs ago due to balance issues.

Diesel is far less of an issue on 3 wheels, it's nearly impossible to fall off. However, over the last ten yrs I've noticed far more diesel spills on roundabouts each year. As you say it's lethal for two wheels.

Can you fall off with 30 wheels?

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I would say it was a police matter due to the danger it posed to every road user being as it was on a very steep hill on a tight bend with a T junction at the bottom and a huge amount of diesel spillage like a gallon or more something had to be done quick and finding who to contact at the council at 7am would take forever , as it was multipull cyclist fell of with at least one broken elbow .

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I would say it was a police matter due to the danger it posed to every road user being as it was on a very steep hill on a tight bend with a T junction at the bottom and a huge amount of diesel spillage like a gallon or more something had to be done quick and finding who to contact at the council at 7am would take forever , as it was multipull cyclist fell of with at least one broken elbow .

Fair enough, I doubt they did anything though They can't even get to crimes in progress these days.

Drago

Legendary Member
They'll have emailed the carncil.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5430447, member: 9609"]a car stuck in the hedge
as a cyclist I think you will smell it first. it's a pretty strong smell

hmmmm, probably on a dry road? but wet roads at night? much easier to spot black ice.[/QUOTE]
No sense of smell, so the second option is ruled out for me.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Re smell. Whilst diesel has a strong smell, I always thought the shiny stuff on tarmac was just engine oil?

Whilst slippery, it doesn't have a strong enough smell from atop a bike.

Top Bottom