Diet Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KierCycle1

Hi Guys,

I am looking to find out what everyone eats on their cycle days.

I have cut out gluten and milk for health reasons & on a day when i cycle i like to feel light so i will have a bowl of porridge for breakfast and take a banana with me but definitely start to feel like im running on fumes around mile 40 or so.

What foods do you guys eat before/during a ride?

Thanks in advance

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Breakfast, sandwiches, pork pies, fry-up, coffee, cake, anything really, just normal stuff at normal mealtimes plus maybe some snacks in between if it is a big day of 80 miles or more.
I avoid chocolate and sweets as snacks and don't do energy drinks or bars or gels. Water in the bottles and normal food.

vickster

Legendary Member
:secret:Latte and cake :blush: or a sandwich if it’s lunchtime

Gluten free, maybe try flapjack, some sort of cereal bar, sandwiches with GF bread, more bananas

If stopping, baked spud with tuna/beans or similar

Some people eat hard boiled eggs xx(xx(xx(

Or try having a larger bowl of porridge?
Or just take it easier for those 40 miles? How long is it taking?

I’m not sure what feeling light means?! I’d think being well hydrated and well rested would be most important (with possibly a morning toilet visit)

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Brose (quick porridge), dates, almonds, linseed milled and syrup for breakfast, at least a flapjack after 90mins and every hour thereafter, ordinary lunch, big dinner after the ride. Big dinner the night before a long ride if I'm organised. Coffee and cake, and beer with lunch (only one unless there's a decent light/small beer) if the opportunity presents itself.

My favourite annual 100 mile ride includes a café lunch at 45 miles and a pie and pint stop at 62 miles aka 100km. Often need a quick shop stop around mile 80, too, but that's varied.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Like you porridge and banana for breakfast. At 40 miles I’d be running out of fuel which is why at 35-40 miles we stop at a cafe. Here I would have beans, egg, toast and tea before heading off for 25-40 to get home.

Tin Pot

Guru
Eating is cheating!

Only kidding. Your idea is pretty much what I do, though I’ll only take good if it’s three hours or more.

At the moment I try to time rides before a meal so I’m not eating more than usual.

Dates are a good mid ride snack
dates-1.jpg

Alan O

Über Member
For today's 40-mile ride...

Cheese pasta before leaving home for the meetup.
Snickers at the meetup.
At the lunch stop, a sausage sandwich, a steak & kidney pie from the chippy, and another snickers.
And I was hungry when I got home, so I fried up some black pudding.

Julia9054

Guru
For today's 40-mile ride...

Cheese pasta before leaving home for the meetup.
Snickers at the meetup.
At the lunch stop, a sausage sandwich, a steak & kidney pie from the chippy, and another snickers.
And I was hungry when I got home, so I fried up some black pudding.
I try to eat little and often. If I had a steak and kidney pie and then tried to cycle hard, I'd throw up.
Last 55 mile ride. Porridge before leaving home, bacon sarnie at about 10 miles in (it was too big, regretted it), beans and a bread cake at the lunch stop (everyone else had fish and chips) and a snickers in the car on the way home.
I like eating figs if I've remembered to buy any

Top Bottom