diff between cal & kCal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xroads

My bike computer displays both. I assumed 1 kCal was =1000cal.
However the computer only display cal as an instantaneous value (eg stop pedalling and it drops to zero).
For my 13 mile commute in 50 mins it shows a cumulative 600kCal. My weight is 70kg (entered into computer). Does this sound reasonable or exaggerated?
Whats the difference between the two?

stephec

Legendary Member
Your figures sound similar to mine. I hope someone can answer this as I was thinking of starting of a thread on this myself.

skwerl

sounds like kCal is your total for the session whereas the cal value is the calories you're burning in real-time, kind of like a power output in watts. That's why it displays 0 when you stop pedalling.

The reason that one's in calories (rather tahn kcal) is because the real-time value is going to be small, so instead of displaying 0.06 kcal they display 60 cal. The total ride energy value is quoted in kcal because a calorie is a tiny amount of energy so you'd end up with a value of 2,000,000 after a 3 hour ride

stephec

Legendary Member
If you read various books they give average values for calories burnt for different types of exercise, eg. walking 250 cals per hour, cycling 300 cals, and so on.

When I look at my HRM and it tells me I have used 1160kcals over an hour and a half of cycling how does that kcal figure relate to actual calories burnt.

In other words, how many pints have I burnt off?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
X

xroads

Mines is a bikemate from Aldi - best bike computer Ive come across.
RTFM is effin useless.
Instantaneous value in calories, cumulated gives total kCal makes sense.
Thanks

skwerl

stephec said:
If you read various books they give average values for calories burnt for different types of exercise, eg. walking 250 cals per hour, cycling 300 cals, and so on.

When I look at my HRM and it tells me I have used 1160kcals over an hour and a half of cycling how does that kcal figure relate to actual calories burnt.

In other words, how many pints have I burnt off?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

about 4 or 5 pints. depends what you drink though

Pottsy

You're right, 1 Kcal = 1000 cal.

However in common use many people refer to cals when they actually mean kcals, so there's often some confusion.

Cheddar George

oober member
Quite right Pottsy. This is one of my pet hates, i mean you wouldn't enter a 100 kilometre audax event only to turn up and ride round the block for 100 metres !!!!

The UK department of health recommends an average of 2550 calories a day for a bloke. Well i've just eaten a Tunnocks caramel wafer (very nice) at 140Kcal , is this supposed to keep me going until the end of October ?????

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You can generally assume that "calorie" in the context of food and diet means Kcal.
Thus, if you eat nothing else, you are allowed 18 Tunnocks caramel wafers per day, much more reasonable.

Top Bottom