Difference between audax and sportives summed up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not a helmet wearer by choice, but I do have a cheap sportive hat kept just for the occasion!!! :rolleyes:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The difference between Audax and Sportives is mandatory helmet rules....
Not abroad. Sportive rides are different and varied beasts. The main challenge on la Savoreuse was eating a five course local produce lunch with beers on the way round.

The hat self gratification is the fault of British Cycling's insurance.

Anyway, British sportives tend to be good rides ruined by FPKWs and only junk food at stops. Audaxes tend to be good rides ruined by bureaucracy and cafés raided dry by the time I get there. A good freewheeling group ride will be better every time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Anyway, British sportives tend to be good rides ruined by FPKWs and only junk food at stops. Audaxes tend to be good rides ruined by bureaucracy and cafés raided dry by the time I get there. A good freewheeling group ride will be better every time.
If you absolutely must go in for negative stereotyping, I suppose this isn't a terribly bad one. But why?

I've done sportives with excellent food and catering, and I don't tend to judge people by their equipment (ooer) so the first part is not necessarily true. I've done amazingly well organised Audaxes with lots of manned controls and no infos, where the receipt collecting and bureaucracy was kept to an absolute minimum, so neither is the second.

The main purpose of these kinds of discussions tends to be: "Look at those people. They're doing it all wrong. I don't you just hate that? Don't you wish they would just die?*"

* Bonus points for naming the film.

Last edited:

yello

I've ridden both (though I'm more of an audaxer in truth) and enjoy them differently, indeed ride them differently. I do push it a bit more on sportives, to take part in the vibe, and I enjoy it for that. Though I did sit up after around 100km of a national calendar event (here in France) just chuckling at myself for being a wannabe, finishing the ride at a slower pace with an older chap, both taking turns on the front. He shook my hand afterwards, for working with him I presume, and that made my day.

The difference in names in the OP though, that did give me a chuckle.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've done sportives with excellent food and catering, and I don't tend to judge people by their equipment (ooer) so the first part is not necessarily true.
Congratulations, that's what "tends to" means. It ain't true of them all, but many.

And they're not judged by their equipment. They're not Ws because of the FPK. They're Ws anyway, but they may be in FPK because of it.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not a helmet wearer by choice, but I do have a cheap sportive hat kept just for the occasion!!! :rolleyes:

9d5ba02875ce7921d092038d1543b1f4.jpg

Sallar55

Veteran
This puts Audax and Sportives in the shade.https://bikepacking.com/event/atlas-mountain-race-2023/ you can follow it now.

Top Bottom