Difference between helmets?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Raging Squirrel, 21 Jul 2012.

1. Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if the difference between road and MTB helmets is just the look or not?

2. MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

A lot of MTB helmets are peaked, which is a problem with the lower riding position of a roadbike. I can't think of anything else though!

3. Cubist

Cubist Still wavin' Moderator

A MTB helmet generally will have a visor, removable or adjustable. MTb helmets also tend to fit lower down the back of the head giving extra coverage, and are more likely to have an in moulded construction, which is a fancy way of saying that the polystyrene inner is covered all over in outer plastic shell. Google six six one recon or giro xar for examples

That said, some helmets claim to fit lower but don't ....

Road helmets tend not to have visors, fit higher up on the head.

4. What they said :thumbsup:

5. OP
    OP
    Raging Squirrel

I thought so, the mountain bike ones I looked at today looked like road helmets with a removable peak. I'm stuck between a Boardman Road one for £50 (£70 with a helmet bag) or I can get a Boardman MTB one with a bag for £50, or there's a Spealized Echelon for £50 too

6. Cubist

Cubist Still wavin' Moderator

Your sig suggests you have a Boardman Hybrid. You could be forgiven for wearing either type of helmet on that bike. So, in all seriousness, try them on in front of a mirror in Halfords, with a pair of riding glasses, and buy whichever one you think you look best in.

7. OP
    OP
    Raging Squirrel

suppose I could. Thanks for the info, I'll have a look tomorrow :smile:

8. MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

9. OP
    OP
    Raging Squirrel

Got it. Have some bloc wrap arounds but seen some others i like too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice