Difference between helmets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
A lot of MTB helmets are peaked, which is a problem with the lower riding position of a roadbike. I can't think of anything else though!

Cubist

Still wavin'
A MTB helmet generally will have a visor, removable or adjustable. MTb helmets also tend to fit lower down the back of the head giving extra coverage, and are more likely to have an in moulded construction, which is a fancy way of saying that the polystyrene inner is covered all over in outer plastic shell. Google six six one recon or giro xar for examples

That said, some helmets claim to fit lower but don't ....

Road helmets tend not to have visors, fit higher up on the head.

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

I thought so, the mountain bike ones I looked at today looked like road helmets with a removable peak. I'm stuck between a Boardman Road one for £50 (£70 with a helmet bag) or I can get a Boardman MTB one with a bag for £50, or there's a Spealized Echelon for £50 too

Cubist

Still wavin'
Your sig suggests you have a Boardman Hybrid. You could be forgiven for wearing either type of helmet on that bike. So, in all seriousness, try them on in front of a mirror in Halfords, with a pair of riding glasses, and buy whichever one you think you look best in.

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

Got it. Have some bloc wrap arounds but seen some others i like too

Top Bottom