difference between shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

okeydokey79

Hi guys just looking for n+1( currently riding a carrera tdf) brought it 1yr ago and got the bug lol, so c2w scheme is up and running again, but looking at bikes and some have 105 shifters some have tiagra shifters apart from quality is there any difference in the way they operate? has only ever used 2300 shifters on my tdf!!! thanks for the help

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
No difference to the way you operate them.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Used to be that Tiagra had a little plastic window with a red indicator inside, telling you which chainring / sprocket you were in (if you're into that kind of thing). Not sure if this is still the case. Also Tiagra were 9 spd and 105 were 10 but they are both 10 spd, with the latest versions (which came out about 2-3 years ago).

MattHB

Proud Daddy
i have 2012 tiagra on one bike and 2012 105 on the other and there is LOADS of difference. (both 10spd compacts)

tiagra still has the gear indicator, but I dont really ever use it
105 front shifter is trimmable, Tiagra isnt
overall lever resistance is FAR less on the 105 as spring resistances on the mechs are different
its so much easier to set up the 105
the overall shifter feel of quality is far superior on 105

Ill be looking to upgrade my tiagra asap to at least 105, although probably ultegra as I had no idea how much difference there was going to be

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The operation of the two shifters is the same. The advantage of 105 is weight and that they are built from slightly higher quality components.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tiagra not tiara, flipping auto correct on tapatalk

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

MattHB

Proud Daddy
The operation of the two shifters is the same. The advantage of 105 is weight and that they are built from slightly higher quality components.

This is not the case if you compare the ability to trim on the 105. And because of that ability, the 105 front mech cage is narrower allowing for a MUCH slicker shift. The tiagra front mech cage is wider to stop rub, and because of that is less accurate.

As a purchasing decision, if you can afford it, go 105. If not, make sure you get a good frame set with tiagra and upgrade later.

And new 105 has internal gear cable routing. Not sure is Tiara does yet.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Nope it doesn't :smile:

Hacienda71

This is not the case if you compare the ability to trim on the 105. And because of that ability, the 105 front mech cage is narrower allowing for a MUCH slicker shift. The tiagra front mech cage is wider to stop rub, and because of that is less accurate.

Tiagra has trim on the front. I have ridden with both and they both trim in the same way. If yours has not it is because there is a set up issue not because Tiagra does not trim. :thumbsup:

For clarity see here

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Tiagra has trim on the front. I have ridden with both and they both trim in the same way. If yours has not it is because there is a set up issue not because Tiagra does not trim. :thumbsup:

For clarity see here

Agree, I have a bike with Tiagra and I seem to manage use the trim feature that apparently does not exist :tongue:

MattHB

Proud Daddy

For clarity see here

Weird, I'll have to look into that.

Thes still no question though that my 105 is way smoother than the Tiagra. It's a totally different ball game.

ohnovino

Large Member
My 10spd Tiagra has the gear indicator window thing, and it's utterly pointless. There are no markings next to it, so it only ever really tells you whether you're a bit to the left or a bit to the right.

Hacienda71

If you can't trim on your Tiagra bike and it is not running smoothly, it might be worth fettling the gears. 105 is undoubtedly better quality than Tiagra and lighter, but not by a huge amount. Imho Tiagra if set up right should shift very smoothly, not quite as smooth as 105 but not far off.

Top Bottom