difference between these two bikes please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They are similar, fully equipped trekking bikes in the German style.

This Scott is clearly described as 2020, but it's the same model which was wrongly pictured on the Tredz site.

Assuming this time it is a 2020 bike, it has the most powerful Bosch motor of the latest design which is smaller, quieter, and easier to pedal unassisted than the previous year's.

The Cube has a slightly weaker version of the same motor, so it shares the same benefits, just with a bit less outright grunt.

Both bikes have the same capacity battery, but they are different shapes.

The Scott has the Powertube which is longer and narrower, and is designed to look more part of the bike.

The Cube has the alternative shape down tube battery, installed under a plastic cover.

The Powertube is not really designed to be handled, so is more aimed at on-bike charging.

The Cube's battery is stubbier, has a carry handle and is, er, handier if you want to take it off the bike regularly.

The Cube is the one to have if you think you may want to carry a spare, it will fit in a pannier or trunk bag.

The Powertube is too long for some bike luggage.

I'm sure you can weigh up the bike bits for yourself, but both bikes have reasonably good quality components.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
great, that's very helpful thanks very much.... will probably bite at the Scott then, will ponder it on my commute home ......

It's not one of your choices OP, but just for anyone else curious about the different battery styles, Trek adapt the powertube with a handle, I'm not personally aware of other brands that do, but it's not a given that they are all intended as solely on bike charging like that. They obviously have a charging port for off bike regardless.

Having tried carrying my 625 powertube battery without using the handle, I can say that it's very much needed. Carrying one without would increase your chances of accidentally dropping it, whilst they are robust you don't want to be accidentally dropping this from any height or near your foot, they are expensive to replace too. You'll be ok if you are careful though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
ordered a large Scott :becool:
I don’t intend to remove the battery as I’ll just charge overnight in my workshop when needed...... so that shouldn’t be an issue.
will hopefully make the hill I‘ve just huffed and puffed up a bit easier in the windy winter months ^_^

I don’t intend to remove the battery as I’ll just charge overnight in my workshop when needed...... so that shouldn’t be an issue.
will hopefully make the hill I‘ve just huffed and puffed up a bit easier in the windy winter months ^_^
Just bear in mind, charging is ideally done at room temperature. Charging the battery in unheated outbuildings and garages can seriously damage the battery and may lead to a spontaneous fire/explosion.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Should do the job.

Out of interest, did you establish if it does have the latest motor?

I wouldn't worry too much charging.

Bosch electrics are properly engineered, making them well behaved.

Unlike some of the cheap Chinese stuff, where sparks literally fly.

Here is where I learned about the risk of cold charging, see the top answer, clearly a very well informed individual;
https://electronics.stackexchange.c...atteries-in-cold-temperatures-would-harm-them

Personally, I still take my battery indoors all winter, even though my garage rarely falls below 10C (its integral), not an outbuilding like my last one that hovered around 3C in the coldest days. Apparently it's worth taking batteries indoors so it's relatively warm when starting out on long cold rides, that way you get the best possible range out of the battery. Also, storing at room temperature helps with longevity of the cells. Any protection of a significant capital investment in the battery seems sensible to me. Maybe I'm over doing it, especially in my 10C garage, who knows, maybe all that effort lugging it around isn't worth the extra 100 cycles I'll eek out of it. (I have no idea how many more cycles I'll get in reality, I'm just following the user manual instructions) :okay:

In the spring, I'll stop taking it indoors though!

P.S. Enjoy your new bike!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
I didn’t check the motor to be honest...... I‘ve pondered enough and thought that at 40ish quid a month on interest free even the older one would make my commute significantly easier...... I’ll report back when it arrives.
thanks for The charging in the cold info...... I’ll keep an eye on the thermometer

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Interestingly I‘ve just noticed that the link I posted is now for the 2019 model....... it was definitely the 2020 model I ordered and it says so on my email receipt......... I suspect an error has been realised and quickly rectified..... so I guess I’ll end up with a 2019 model........... though I think I’d have grounds for a complaint if I could be bothered.....

Attachments

• 308C7557-BC68-413A-8422-5B52440B438C.jpeg
    308C7557-BC68-413A-8422-5B52440B438C.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Bike just arrived..... it’s definitely the 2019 version and not the one in the picture, or what my email receipt said, which was clearly 2020. I’ve mentioned it to them, but not too bothered as it does seem a really good solid bike with fairly decent spec for the money.
most annoying thing is that its only come with a continental plug! Actually that’s really annoying........
have given it a short ride and it made total mincemeat of what is normally a really horrible long climb.... will try it out properly on The commute tomorrow ^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bike just arrived..... it’s definitely the 2019 version and not the one in the picture, or what my email receipt said, which was clearly 2020. I’ve mentioned it to them, but not too bothered as it does seem a really good solid bike with fairly decent spec for the money.
most annoying thing is that its only come with a continental plug! Actually that’s really annoying........
have given it a short ride and it made total mincemeat of what is normally a really horrible long climb.... will try it out properly on The commute tomorrow ^_^

The main difference is, as you now know, the newer motor is easier to pedal unassisted.

I agree it's not worth making a fuss about.

If I wanted to ride unassisted I'd save a lot of money and buy a lightweight pushbike.

You could stand on your rights over the charging lead.

It is against Euro consumer law to supply a lead with anything other than a standard, three pin plug.

Any in-line figure of eight charging lead will do - you probably have one or two knocking about on other gadgets.

About a fiver from Amazon.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/figure-8-power-lead/rokja7tf3pss7ya

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
yes, I found an old lead pretty quickly, so its now charging up for tomorrow. tbh it wasn't too bad when riding unassisted.... and I've a nice carbon canyon for that anyway :okay:
will report back here tomorrow evening, or Sat cookieZ when I've given it a proper workout. though as mentioned above I was pretty impressed during the short ride earlier.

Top Bottom