Different approaches to demolition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
We have an aging summer house in the garden and as we have 2 sons back from university we have set them to work demolishing it before it falls down.
It is amusing to see their different approaches:
Son #1 - Engineer, methodically working out how the structure is built and then working out a plan for taking it apart piece by piece.
Son #2 - Rugby coach, suggests tying a rope around one of the wooden pillars, attaching the other end to the garden tractor and just pulling it down ...
I am waiting with baited breath to see which approach wins out !

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What about the can of petrol, some beer and some burgers option? :okay:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mr WD an ex engineer would take it apart methodically in the vain hope that he could salvage even a foot of wood that he would put in his shed in the hope that he might be able to find a use for it even if that ended up taking 20 years to do so.

Me? As it is going to be dumped, I would rip the dam thing down and skip it ASAP or as above set fire to it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Mr WD an ex engineer would take it apart methodically in the vain hope that he could salvage even a foot of wood that he would put in his shed in the hope that he might be able to find a use for it even if that ended up taking 20 years to do so.

Me? As it is going to be dumped, I would rip the dam thing down and skip it ASAP or as above set fire to it.
Mr WD can be my friend.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You probably know this, but I suspect smashing it down is the easy bit. The hard bit is cutting it up and carting it away. It will likely save work on the harder carting-it-away bit if you take it down piece by piece

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Sell it in eBay, buyer collects...

Brains

Legendary Member
The actual problem is disposal.
There is going to be a lot of (rotten) wood

If that is going into a skip, then go with #1
As the lengths will need to be cut (chainsawed) into suitable lengths

If the answer is burnt, then why even collapse the structure?
Just fill it with cardboard boxes and a few fire lighters and get the marshmallows (and garden hose) ready.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
You probably know this, but I suspect smashing it down is the easy bit. The hard bit is cutting it up and carting it away. It will likely save work on the harder carting-it-away bit if you take it down piece by piece
Where's the fun it that approach?^_^

Top Bottom