Different kind of new wheels thread.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simon the viking
LBS didn't suggest 'wheels other than Giant' and dismissed the warranty claim. That's what I'd be unhappy about.
My shimano r500 wheels are going strong after 12 years and no maintenance, and they cost me £60 IIRC.
Ref warranty claim I can see what you are saying I was slightly unhappy but he was speaking from experience as to other wheel brands I think he only does American pro range (think that's right brand)or bso style cheapies I will query this though and if no middle range is available from him then I may look online rather than get the giants

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Seems odd to me as ive had nothing but good service from Giant . Saying that nothing has gone wrong yet :laugh: Any niggle I have though and the bikes are on the stand and tweaked . The OP hasn't had a response from Giant yet . Hes had an opinion from someone about Giant .
I would take the bike to a Giant store and see what they have to say but I would have also left the bike at the LBS and told them to call me when they had sorted their problem out .

OP
OP
simon the viking
I might give warranty aspect a go before shelling out I will email them tommorow quoting fit for purpose etc... Thanks guys I will keep you posted

I thought warranty issues lie with the retailer not the manufacturer? If the LBS sold it to you he should get it fixed, and that does not mean sending it back to Giant and you being without a wheel for 2 weeks. Quote the Sale Of Goods Act:

All goods must be:
  • as described
  • of satisfactory quality and
  • fit for purpose
If they're not, the Retailer is in breach of contract and you have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act
Your rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, and so you must make any claim against the retailer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get some other 'factory wheels' or indeed handbuilts if you want serviceability.

Stock wheels are usually the 'let down' part on a bike as it's where money is saved.

You can't go wrong with the wheels quoted above if you want decent every day wheels that won't break the bank. When something wears out on factory wheels, its usually a new wheel jobbie.

Quite alot of freehubs aren't well sealed. If you'd had a shimano hub, you could easily replace the freehub, but get this, it's cheaper to buy a new hub complete, than it is just a freehub on it's own. You then just strip the new hub and replace the freehub on the existing wheel.

OP
OP
simon the viking
I've had a look at the exclusions to warranty and they give as examples Tyres, brake blocks, chain, Gear wheels

by Gear wheels I assume they mean rear sprockets/cassette not free wheel. I am going to have another talk to them as I haven't had to change the brake pads yet.....

So having to change a wheel before brake pads is to me clearly not fit for purpose .... I've just totted up mileage off strava its not even 2000 miles...... its only 1500:ohmy: over exactly 6 months......

so if he still says no I might replace with some Shimano wheels at sub £100 and then take it further....

Obviously I don't want to fall out with them because they are great guys, really helpful normally... but I feel in this case I've got to give it a go .

I've probably said too much as this is a public forum....

OP
OP
simon the viking
Just had an interesting conversation with another LBS (sorry about dissing anyone who suggested this earlier in the thread) and he can supply Shimano R501's £80 the pair..... and said he would give me second opinion on the original wheel if I took it in (he would also swap the cassette F.O.C at the same time)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just had an interesting conversation with another LBS (sorry about dissing anyone who suggested this earlier in the thread) and he can supply Shimano R501's £80 the pair..... and said he would give me second opinion on the original wheel if I took it in (he would also swap the cassette F.O.C at the same time)
You can get a pair of R501s for around £70 a pair and i will change your cassette over for you if you dont have the tools
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...andard-spoke-clincher-wheels-pair/shimwhfr202
If you have rode the wheels al winter it is possible to burn the freehub, had a look at giant wheel maintenance and it does seem a faff to replace their hub as i thought normal freehubs just screwed on with a 10 mm Allen key .
http://www.sykkel.com/teknisk/GIANT WheelSystem Service Info_V01.pdf

OP
OP
simon the viking
Cheers @cyberknight for the offer of cassette swapping, I'd seen that link to Ribble. But LBS in Burton town centre have them in stock at £80 which I think is a fair price for an LBS (and I might have to build up a relationship with a new LBS:whistle:) so if normal LBS cant/wont sort wheels I think I will buy from there and then decide what to do with old wheels warranty wise.

That GIANT link is interesting, though I cant work out which system my hubs use but if its one of them 2 it is replaceable
Cheers:thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cheers @cyberknight for the offer of cassette swapping, I'd seen that link to Ribble. But LBS in Burton town centre have them in stock at £80 which I think is a fair price for an LBS (and I might have to build up a relationship with a new LBS:whistle:) so if normal LBS cant/wont sort wheels I think I will buy from there and then decide what to do with old wheels warranty wise.

That GIANT link is interesting, though I cant work out which system my hubs use but if its one of them 2 it is replaceable
Cheers:thumbsup:
Sheffield cycles or cycling 2000 ?
£80 for a LBS is good deal, i bought my 1st good road bike for sheffield in the 90`s and i do try to support Lloyds if possible as their names on Mercia CC`s kit .

OP
OP
simon the viking
Sheffield cycles or cycling 2000 ?
£80 for a LBS is good deal, i bought my 1st good road bike for sheffield in the 90`s and i do try to support Lloyds if possible as their names on Mercia CC`s kit .
Sheffield cycles, thought that was a good price myself. need to talk to LBS near my work, they are good guys but I'm upset about this

OP
OP
simon the viking
You ok to ride it as is till you get a new wheel , i have a back up wheel .
Thanks for the offer really kind, but I've put it into storage for a few days, and riding the Viking until I can sort it one way or the other....
I might be overreacting but the noise comes and goes but when its at its worst its a right racket sounds like I'm riding a nacked £70 BSO clunker:rolleyes: (beyond embarrassing)

young Ed

Veteran
i would personally get a set of fulcrum 7's and be doe with it
years on reliable good service
good quality wheels from a a well known good company
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
simon the viking
Spoke (pun not intended) to LBS and we may have come to a mutually acceptable solution......

He is willing to send the wheel back to Giant but said be ready to have warranty rejected do to the weather I've ridden it in (extremely wet winter all winter - still not sure that would be classed as fit for purpose though) at which Giant/LBS would charge me the carriage of £15.... then I would have to go to trading standards to question their decision etc........

However as a compromise he is willing to fit a new (black to almost match the front one) Shimano hub and freewheel at the cost price of part to him with no labour which is then serviceable in the future.... This option is only twice what the carriage charge would be and the problem can be cured relatively cheaply should the situation arise again in the future.....and nobody falls out over it:smile: (it's handy having a friendly LBS over the road at work literally a 100 yards away and I don't want to have boycott them due to mutual ill feeling)

The only problem may be spoke length if he has to fit new spokes this will add to the cost and not make it economically viable in which case I may rethink the situation....

He has taken the bike (not just the wheel) this time to double check his mechanics diagnosis of the noise (pretty certain it is the fault but going to ride the bike to make sure)

But if this all works out as above..... I might then save up for some nice new shiny (okay matt black but you know what I mean) Summer wheels^_^

I reckon if it can be sorted as cheap as he says then I reckon its an 'okay' outcome (not fantastic but acceptable and a lot less hassle than arguing over it with Giant and LBS) what do you all think?

Top Bottom