Difficult bike names to pronounce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HorTs

Über Member
I started a thread a while back along a similar vain - about how many terms in cycling are difficult to pronounce (probably due to my general ignorance), often due to being or derived from French. Audax and its associated terms are rife; randonée, brevet, randonneur, grimpeurs...

oldroadman

Veteran
I started a thread a while back along a similar vain - about how many terms in cycling are difficult to pronounce (probably due to my general ignorance), often due to being or derived from French. Audax and its associated terms are rife; randonée, brevet, randonneur, grimpeurs...
Try a French for beginners evening course at your local college. Plus you learn to shrug shoulders and grunt expressively!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Actually, I get French for beginners at my workplace, because I work for a French-based multinational company. As for my female French coworkers: ooh la la! :eek:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have linguistic acrobats with Colnago! I keep wanting to bung a couple of extra syllables in that name.

oldroadman

Veteran
Actually, I get French for beginners at my workplace, because I work for a French-based multinational company. As for my female French coworkers: ooh la la! :eek:
Teach 'em Aussie speak, much simpler, mate. Have they worked out what larrikins and utes are?

The one that makes me grin - Halfords' Carrera Valour. Son has one - and insists on pronouncing it the way Halfords staff did. The "viloooooor" (as in "garaaage", "faraaaaage").

It's not a bleedin' "villoooor". It's a "Valour", as in HMS Valorous.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It must have been a slow day for the OP to post this ……………..

Having said this I can say Shimano easily, but I can't say Campagnolo. I get as far as Cam ……. but then I can't say any more, I am stuck. As for SRAM don't even go there ;).
I watched one of the classic cycling videos from the 1970s (it might have been 'Stars and Water Carriers'?) and the Italian chap on the PA system at the start introduced the Bianchi-Campagnolo team to the crowd, so I can tell you that the Italians pronounce them Bee-an-key-Cam-pan-yolo.

whatever it is it must have Ksyrium wheels
I have these, how DO you say it?
(Silent 'k') Si (as in sip) - re - um.

Top Bottom