Difficulty fitting tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I have been trying to fit a pair of Schwabe Active tires to a pair of 27 x 1 1/4 wheels that I have just had rebuilt and they are without doubt the tightest fit I have ever encountered. It took me almost a full hour to fit the first one and in doing so, I managed to nip the tube and had to start again with exactly the same result. When I started on the other wheel I was wrestling so hard with it I actually buckled the wheel and it is now back at the bike shop. My main worry now is what happens if/when the 'P' fairy catches up with me miles from home? I feel inclined to ditch the Schwalbes and replace them with something else. Has anyone else had a similar experience & can anyone recommend tyres that are not so tight. I am not a novice by a long way and have never found replacing tyres in the least bit difficult so it is not me that is at fault.
Another question if I may, as mentioned above, I have just had a pair of wheels rebuilt using the original hubs and rims. Up to now I have always used wheels from the budget end of the market so I really do not know how to tell if a wheel is well made or not and would welcome any advice on what to look for.

Slioch

Guru
I have the same problem and got one of these which seems to work well. Fits in the back pocket too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bic...a-b3f8-4f2a-a3b2-37c67863a497&redirect=mobile

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks for that Slioch, looks a useful tool and worth a try :okay:
I think they are becoming a necessity if you have "tubeless ready" rims or tyres. That said in 27 x 1 1/4 I wouldn't have thought manufacturers would bother in following the Tubeless fad, old school steel riders are hardly the target market for tubeless, but there are awkward tyre rim combo's that you find by trial and error

I run panaracer pasela PT on my retro steel bike, they do a 27"x version and it come in tan wall. The 700c version was/is dead easy to fit / remove on both my sets of rims its been on (original and rebuilt wheels on new rims). which obvious doesn't mean it will be the same for you ^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom