Digital Camera Suggestion

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Been away for a week & took some snaps on the phone whilst away, looking at them now I feel they could be better. Apparently it has "the Galaxy S5 has a 16-megapixel sensor of ½.6-inch size" which means nothing to me. So was thinking of getting a digital camera, it's not going to be used a huge amount, I did the camera thing many moons ago when the Olympus OM10 did the rounds. As usual don't want to spend a fortune, I saw this on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Cool...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=THH4DXXXNA7C16SQV1GJ that's probably at the top end of what I want to spend, is there something better, cheaper, or do I just get a phone with a better camera?

Been away for a week & took some snaps on the phone whilst away, looking at them now I feel they could be better. Apparently it has "the Galaxy S5 has a 16-megapixel sensor of ½.6-inch size" which means nothing to me. So was thinking of getting a digital camera, it's not going to be used a huge amount, I did the camera thing many moons ago when the Olympus OM10 did the rounds. As usual don't want to spend a fortune, I saw this on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Cool...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=THH4DXXXNA7C16SQV1GJ that's probably at the top end of what I want to spend, is there something better, cheaper, or do I just get a phone with a better camera?
It looks fine and has a big zoom. Does it have a viewfinder as I find cameras without them a right pain .

Dave 123

Legendary Member
af2e7fdb-9cf4-4f5a-84e4-9fad73c80206-jpeg.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Have you been to a camera shop to see what they are like ? I find that it is good to handle the cameras first before deciding.
Once you have decided you can always buy it elsewhere.
No not yet, this is just the opening salvo, just toying with the idea currently, but wondered if somebody knew of a 'must buy'

Salar

A fish out of water
That Nikon is quite a chunk, not so easy to slip in your pocket. I've got a Sony RX100 which is small but produces wonderful results .

I agree, try and get one without the "battery bulge" on the side. They get a bit cumbersome and awkward to fit in your pocket.

Also as said above viewfinders help, either optical or digital. The digital viewfinders take a short while to get used to but are ok.

I'm mostly a film and DSLR user, but when I want a compact digital camera I just buy cheapos from fleabay or cashconverters etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Yes, I sort of like the idea of a big camera, but maybe I'd be better off with a point & shoot type of one, fitting into a cycling pocket would be handy, but that's not something I had considered, the Canon of @Dave 123 looks interesting, but not what I was initially looking at

That Nikon is quite a chunk, not so easy to slip in your pocket. I've got a Sony RX100 which is small but produces wonderful results .
The RX100 is something I would dearly like to have; they're up to MKVI now which would set you back a pretty penny. MK1 is still in production though and is significantly less expensive.

What version is yours, @Cycleops ?

Top Bottom