Digital Camera Suggestion

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
[QUOTE 5540564, member: 9609"]I have one of each, a canon sx 40 with 35x zoom
and a Lexia Lecia with a 32x zoom
the lexia is pocket size and I take everywhere
the canon is bigger and a dam nusiance to carry about

just done a shot with each of a book from 22 metres. Its an overcast dull afternoon
which do you think is the best ?
View attachment 453241 View attachment 453242 [/QUOTE]
First one looks best.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

First one looks best.
I agree

D

Deleted member 23692

We have those at work and they are a bloody pain as the don't charge via USB when plugged into the a laptop like most moderns cameras do. Instead you have to continually remove the battery and use an external charger. It's also got the usual unintuitive Canon menus.

Photo quality is average for a P&S camera.

@Phaeton If you're wanting a superzoom like the Nikon, I do have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 that I'm considering getting rid of as I've just bought a DMC-TZ70. It's relatively old as far as digitals go, but it takes super photos. Let me know if you're interested :thumbsup:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Possibly the two factors that have most influence on picture quality (apart from the photographer!) are sensor size and lens quality.

While modern phones can take pretty good photos, they will never match a decent SLR. If they could, Nikon and Canon would start making phones. :smile:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

@Ffoeg Thanks for the offer, looks a good camera, not sure what I want now, but if you want to PM me a price I'll have a think about it if that's okay

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We have those at work and they are a bloody pain as the don't charge via USB when plugged into the a laptop like most moderns cameras do. Instead you have to continually remove the battery and use an external charger. It's also got the usual unintuitive Canon menus.

@Phaeton If you're wanting a superzoom like the Nikon, I do have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 that I'm considering getting rid of as I've just bought a DMC-TZ70. It's relatively old as far as digitals go, but it takes super photos. Let me know if you're interested :thumbsup:

Well I can work it :girl:

Been away for a week & took some snaps on the phone whilst away, looking at them now I feel they could be better. Apparently it has "the Galaxy S5 has a 16-megapixel sensor of ½.6-inch size" which means nothing to me. So was thinking of getting a digital camera, it's not going to be used a huge amount, I did the camera thing many moons ago when the Olympus OM10 did the rounds. As usual don't want to spend a fortune, I saw this on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Cool...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=THH4DXXXNA7C16SQV1GJ that's probably at the top end of what I want to spend, is there something better, cheaper, or do I just get a phone with a better camera?

When my compact point & click finally died a couple of years ago I treated myself to a Fuji finepix, similar specs to what you are looking at.
Here's the thing - I didn't find it in anyway suitable for bike touring. Those cameras are not the most robust so it took almost my entire handlebar bag with padding. On top of that, it was so cumbersome & awkward that I found I was using it less and less. It was just easier to whip out the phone.
The zoom function was a great advantage over a point and click, but they are not the easiest photos to make without a tripod or something solid to sit it on - or maybe i just have the shakes^_^.

So I've gone back to a basic point and click and don't regret it. https://www.amazon.de/Nikon-Coolpix...=1550521821&sr=1-1&keywords=Nikon+Coolpix+A10

Yes, the quality of the photos are not as good as the Fuji, but at least I'm taking photos! And I've room in the handlebar bag!

When I was researching both, I knew I wanted a camera that uses batteries as opposed to recharging. If you're going down the recharging route (as noted above) some cameras will only charge plugged in a wall.

Of course, if you're not talking about taking it on a bike just ignore what I wrote! :smile:

I have the same camera and I agree with your comments.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
[QUOTE 5540621, member: 9609"]yes the first one is the bigger bodied Canon (bridge camera) bigger diameter lenses let in more light to a bigger sensor. The Canon does take the better picture but the size of the Lecia means I just take it with me - and it does take a nice snap - from todays ride
View attachment 453248 [/QUOTE]
You must miss traffic awfully :okay:

Cavalol

Guru
I recently bought a Huawei P20 Pro 'phone, on the strength of some pictures I'd seen people took on theirs. It hasn't disappointed, it's genuinely gob smacking how the pictures are, the way it picks out light and colour is astounding. It also has three cameras on it.

I'd pass on the camera in the OP. It does not have many settings to chose. Plus I like the eyepiece while focusing. I had a similar camera equal camera but in a Sony version.

It does not do full manual, you can not focus on one specific subject. A better camera gives you the setting of several dots in a graph to chose your subject and allowing you to reformat your shot. Plus you have to go with what little choices and settings they off. No bueno!

I got my Rebel T3 cropped sensor camera for about $300. Cheaper now I believe. Heck you can get the T6 for about $30 now.

Not much more than the model posted in the OP.

Though I hate limited settings of the OP model. I like the DSLR that allows full manual. Better focusing and you make the camera do what you want it to do to get the shot you want, not what it chooses for you.

Of course you have to learn how to work the settings if you want decent shots.

For example, I took these at night without a flash. All about shutter speed, aperature and ISO. Can't do that with the OP camera.

I have the T3 basic beginner camera, great camera for the price which was maybe $50 more than that in the OP and fully function and manual settings.

Someday I'll get a real camera but for now, I'm having fun learning how to actually use the setting which make a big difference imo.

48168153_2449635028442314_1218013391835103232_o.jpg
48425238_2463061923766291_9011279533801734144_o.jpg

Rezillo

TwoSheds
The RX100 is something I would dearly like to have; they're up to MKVI now which would set you back a pretty penny. MK1 is still in production though and is significantly less expensive.
[/USER] ?

It is a fine camera and gives very high quality images. Because it has a large sensor, you can enlarge crops and still have good detail, which makes up for a limited zoom. As you say, the Mk1 is still in production or at least still available new. Ideal pocketable holiday camera, imho. Mine has got a bit battered but is still going strong.

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-cybe...tical-zoom-3-inch-lcd-screen-black/p231683057

Top Bottom