Digital camera users - kit advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aren't digital cameras fantastic? I used to be into SLR photography way back but was always frustrated to have to wait to see the results (never liked the idea of having chemicals about the house and developing my own film stock, though I did get to do it at uni). Digital has been a revolution and, for me at least, a revelation. No wasted film, cheap prints, computer-based enhancement, cameras with loads of features.

I've learned a bit about digital photography through using my Canon A75 for the last couple of years and will still use it as a keep-it-with-you-wherever camera , but now I'm looking for something with much higher image quality (especially under artificial lighting where my old camera didn't do so well), good zoom and more flexibility. Any suggestions as to 'next step up' kit? I don't want to set out to spend astronomically, so suggestions for all-round cameras that don't cost the earth would be great, but all ideas welcome.

Really good deals available for Canon 400D or, (gets a good write up)the Nikon D40x - don't forget the x on the end.
I have a 400D for odd work snaps and it is pretty good, but have always been a Canon lover. The USM (Ultra Sonic Motor) lens selection is great - and fast.
400 quid - ish.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I'm a Nikon man, you can get some great deals as old kit is superceeded.

I got a D100 which waas ridiculously cheap (everything being relative) to replace my F65.

I don't honestly think there's too much difference between the 2. It's said that Nikons generally have better metering which may be of interest for low light levels but I doubt a Cannon would struggle either.

Anyway, good luck with your searching. I very begrudgingly moved over to digitals, but as you say, they're fantastic ;)

Melvil

Just bought a D40x and took it on holiday (see link below for snaps taken with it on holiday). Takes pretty good pics and, as said above, seems to have competent metering and nice colour (though if you're really into DSLR photography you'll probably shoot RAW, which is fully adjustable). Was tempted by the EOS-400D but D40x had cashback offer and was already cheap so ended up nearly £200 cheaper than the 400D...Anyway, both get good write ups so go into a shop and see which one feels best for you!

ajevans

I'm a Nikon fan myself. Regarding the D40x:

The only real difference between the D40x and the D40 is the extra mega pixels. Do you really need them? I doubt it.

Also an issue I have the D40(x) is that there is no AF motor on the camera body, which means that you won't be able to use autofocus with superb (and cheap!) lenses like the Nikkor AF 50mm f1.8D.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Melvil said:
Just bought a D40x and took it on holiday (see link below for snaps taken with it on holiday). Takes pretty good pics and, as said above, seems to have competent metering and nice colour (though if you're really into DSLR photography you'll probably shoot RAW, which is fully adjustable). Was tempted by the EOS-400D but D40x had cashback offer and was already cheap so ended up nearly £200 cheaper than the 400D...Anyway, both get good write ups so go into a shop and see which one feels best for you!
Like youtr pics of Barca, Melvil...one of my fave places...I used to live fairly near about 20yrs ago... amazing city....

Panter

Just call me Chris...
beanzontoast said:
All looks to be great kit. I've also had suggested to me, as a cheaper option, the Fuji S9600 which has a lot of good reviews. Anyone used / using one of these?

Not personally but I know people that do.

They're a lot more "point & shoot" orientated than an slr, whether thats good or bad will depend on what you want to do with it.

The pictures I've seen from these cameras are superb though, I'm thinking of buying the Wife one.

ajevans

beanzontoast said:
All looks to be great kit. I've also had suggested to me, as a cheaper option, the Fuji S9600 which has a lot of good reviews. Anyone used / using one of these?

It seems perfectly nice, but if you're going to lug around a largish camera you might as well go for a DSLR. You'll get more creative control, and you'll be able to change lenses.

If you do choose a DSLR, remember you're buying into a lens system. I expect to be using my favourite lenses in 10+ years time, but not the camera body.

beanzontoast said:
Aren't digital cameras fantastic? I used to be into SLR photography way back but was always frustrated to have to wait to see the results (never liked the idea of having chemicals about the house and developing my own film stock, though I did get to do it at uni). Digital has been a revolution and, for me at least, a revelation. No wasted film, cheap prints, computer-based enhancement, cameras with loads of features.

I've learned a bit about digital photography through using my Canon A75 for the last couple of years and will still use it as a keep-it-with-you-wherever camera , but now I'm looking for something with much higher image quality (especially under artificial lighting where my old camera didn't do so well), good zoom and more flexibility. Any suggestions as to 'next step up' kit? I don't want to set out to spend astronomically, so suggestions for all-round cameras that don't cost the earth would be great, but all ideas welcome.

I moved from a Nikon FE2 35mm SLR 'down' to a superzoom 'compact' - Panasonic FZ5 in 2005. It's a great camera (35-432mm, Image Stab, Leica lens, fast focus, v.low shutter lag), really good fun, and fits in my baggy shorts side pockets - just. The FZ18 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmcfz18.asp?dontcount=1 is the upgrade, with a 28-504mm lens. (I notice that it's 4th in the most looked at cameras on dpreview) Just to say that most compacts suffer from increasing image noise at higher ISOs - I tend to leave mine on ISO80.

I'll not get rid of my FZ5, but ... am considering a Nikon D200 dslr, later in the year; partly because I really miss 24mm landscapes etc.

Andy

My father-in-law-to-be (FIL2B?!) has a Fuji S6500 and it looks a great piece of kit. It has a very useful wideangle lens (28-300mm equiv.) which, although manually zoomed, does get over the problem of the annoying zoom 'steps' you get with most compacts. It's not a DSLR but has enough functionality for most people to never exhaust.

S

Top Bottom