Digital rear view mirror for bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Don't the designers realise that rear-view mirrors have been around for yonks?

Reminds me of when NASA spent millions of $ researching into a pen that could work effectively in zero-gravity, when the Russians just used a pencil.

yenrod

betty swollocks said:

Their is a comp we deal with in work when its neccesary and they're called vision techniques based in blackburn I think..

I reckon you could work something they do onto a bike...

Keith Oates

Janner
Back to the digital mirror, the idea seems good as the mirrors I've seen on helmets etc. don't seem to work too well and vibrate/shake to much to get a good image.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

byegad

Legendary Member
If these guys were to design a paperclip it would have 14 moving parts! What's wrong with a mirror? I can't turn my head far enough to see behind me and always use a mirror, there's no way I'd waste money on one of those as a glasses or helmet mounted mirror is just as good.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Keith Oates said:
Back to the digital mirror, the idea seems good as the mirrors I've seen on helmets etc. don't seem to work too well and vibrate/shake to much to get a good image.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whereas the mirrors I've actually used, work fine. Maybe you've only been seeing crap mirrors Keith...:biggrin:

Even the one that I found was no good for me, the Bike Eye, was fine for shake, it just wasn't big enough and couldn't see past my pannier - but it's not designed to, it's meant for roadies.

Seems like a digital rear view CCTV is only any better if it's also recording...

mcd

I'm playing around with an archos 405 and a bullet cam. Fixing the camera to under the side of my helmet & pointing it backwards works well. The recorder has a screen 55x70 (mm - about 3.5inch) which can show what is being recorded. But the bike I ride most of the time at the moment doesn't have anywhere to mount it (it's a recumbent with underseat steering). I could put it on my sleve like a big watch, but it would probably be easier to look over my shoulder than to 'look at the time' to see what was behind me. I have another bike where I could mount the screen just below my normal line of sight, but that bike's too new & the weather's too crap to try it out just now.

Will let you know (probably via another website :biggrin:) what it's like when I try it!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Keith Oates said:
Could be right Arch, perhaps the roads in your area are nice and smooth or the ones out here to rough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha. Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Hee hee. ha ha ha ha.

Nope, as potholed and crap as any British road, which in many cases is, 'very'.

I think if you tried to view behind you with any mirror, for any length of time, the vibration wold be an issue. But when it's a quick glance, I can make sense of the image well enough in that second or so. When I had the original rather wobbly mirror on the trike, it wasn't seeing the image that was an issue on bad surfaces, it was the noise and the thing shaking completely loose. My newer B and M one is great.

Not that I'd let it replace a lifesaver or a regular look over the shoulder though.

simonali

Guru
I had a Fisher Space Pen, it was rubbish. They claimed it would even write underwater, but I always found the paper went too soggy to ever prove this!

Iceniner

I got given one of those space pens and it didnt work either! I just thought it was mine! Sounds like a scandal to me!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Iceniner said:
I got given one of those space pens and it didnt work either! I just thought it was mine! Sounds like a scandal to me!

Ah, well, neither of you were in space, see? That's the only place they work!

Top Bottom