Dilemma keep or sell?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by cyberknight, 14 Apr 2010.

1. cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

recently i picked up a bike that is too big for me , a 56 cm carerra vanquish for £250 rather than £550 list price that is mint.

trouble is although i have put a saddle extender and flipped the stem to give me a reasonable cockpit i am getting lower back pain whilst riding.I am going to pop down to the LBS at the weekend to see if they can suggest anything but i am not sure what to do.

Truth be told a 54 cm is comfortable and i am half a mind to sell the bike and cut my losses, i am pretty sure i can get my money back and look around for a better sized bike .

Help please !!

2. hackbike 666

hackbike 666 Guest

Sell it then if you aren't comfortable.

3. thanos

thanos Active Member

i agree with the sell idea.
    deals are so enticing sometimes, even if you know a frame may be just not right, you rationalize based on the components / quality etc.

trying to fix it will seem possible but long term i dont believe its worth it, as the added money could up the ante of another purchase, and save you time / frustration.

4. Norm

Norm Guest

If you can't get on with the current bike, then there's little point in keeping it just because it was cheap. But are you sure that a 54 will be comfortable if a 56 is giving you back pain?

5. ed_o_brain

ed_o_brain Senior Member

How long have you been riding a road bike?
    How tall are you? What is your inside leg?

I've actually found I can now comfortably ride a 56cm frame and even bought longer stems to increase the reach on my 54cm framed bikes.

6. OP
    OP
    cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

I have been riding a 54 cm road bike, an old apollo tdf with a 100 cm stem ( flipped ) and that was fine, sold it for what i payed for it about 9 months ago.
    I still have my subway 1 aka winter hack as a back up .

i am 5 foot 7/ 8 with a 31 inch inside leg

7. thanos

thanos Active Member

54 is your size then (again depending on frame layout).
    I found the carrera virtuoso medium ok (sizewise) which had a top tube length around 53.5 i think.
    In ribble land I would probably go for a 52 and so on.

8. OP
    OP
    cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

Fellow cyclist at work with many years riding said i needed a 52 for racing/54 relaxed so that about seals my fate ;)

Will be on the classified soon as i de -commute it.

9. shippers

shippers Senior Member

Have a look on this thread-
    http://www.cyclechat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59086

A commuter after a nice new bike for their journey. £200 was their limit but you never know... especially as EVERYONE will agree that the Vanquish is decent value at the list price and fantastic value at £250 or so.

10. OP
    OP
    cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

thanks shippers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice