Dilemma keep or sell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
recently i picked up a bike that is too big for me , a 56 cm carerra vanquish for £250 rather than £550 list price that is mint.

trouble is although i have put a saddle extender and flipped the stem to give me a reasonable cockpit i am getting lower back pain whilst riding.I am going to pop down to the LBS at the weekend to see if they can suggest anything but i am not sure what to do.

Truth be told a 54 cm is comfortable and i am half a mind to sell the bike and cut my losses, i am pretty sure i can get my money back and look around for a better sized bike .

Help please !!

Sell it then if you aren't comfortable.

thanos

i agree with the sell idea.
deals are so enticing sometimes, even if you know a frame may be just not right, you rationalize based on the components / quality etc.

trying to fix it will seem possible but long term i dont believe its worth it, as the added money could up the ante of another purchase, and save you time / frustration.

Norm

If you can't get on with the current bike, then there's little point in keeping it just because it was cheap. But are you sure that a 54 will be comfortable if a 56 is giving you back pain?

How long have you been riding a road bike?
How tall are you? What is your inside leg?

I've actually found I can now comfortably ride a 56cm frame and even bought longer stems to increase the reach on my 54cm framed bikes.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I have been riding a 54 cm road bike, an old apollo tdf with a 100 cm stem ( flipped ) and that was fine, sold it for what i payed for it about 9 months ago.
I still have my subway 1 aka winter hack as a back up .

i am 5 foot 7/ 8 with a 31 inch inside leg

thanos

54 is your size then (again depending on frame layout).
I found the carrera virtuoso medium ok (sizewise) which had a top tube length around 53.5 i think.
In ribble land I would probably go for a 52 and so on.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Fellow cyclist at work with many years riding said i needed a 52 for racing/54 relaxed so that about seals my fate ;)

Will be on the classified soon as i de -commute it.

shippers

Have a look on this thread-
https://www.cyclechat.net/

A commuter after a nice new bike for their journey. £200 was their limit but you never know... especially as EVERYONE will agree that the Vanquish is decent value at the list price and fantastic value at £250 or so.

Top Bottom