Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Cycling along today about 20 mph, a group of youths about 14 or 15 years old emerged from a garden on my right they crossed the road in front of me with plenty of time to get across the road, but one of them (probably showing off) stood in my direct cycling line, I could have swerved round him, but he may not have anticipated which way I was going and caused a collision, so I decided heading straight for him was the best option.
He jumped to the side at the last minute with a sheepish look on his face.
It may be a while before he repeats, the cunning stunt ;)

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You probably did the right thing; next time he might think again. Credit with the rest lost due to him being an idiot.

Sharky

Guru
I would have done the same, but what would be the situation if you had hit him and caused serious damage? Suspect that the law would take a different stance.

At 20MPH a rider of my fatness muscularity would have nearly 5000j of energy at the point of impact. If some little sheet who's plums probably haven't even dropped yet wants to play chicken with me then they're going to have bad time indeed.
Fair enough - I support you idea because some kids need to realise they can be held to account for their actions

but some of us do not have your physical advantages of build and muscle and stuff

I would have swerved at the last moment and given a glare (ex teacher - it comes with the training)
and In my experience if a near miss happens the rest of the group generally looks at the culprit with the age old " you w****k" look

which has even more effect

problem is that it requires a split second decision
and loss of skin if you get it wrong - and if a 60 year old bloke falls off and a kid gets hurt
I am not sure who gets the blame - the facts will be irrelevany

so I stick to staying upright

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Personally, I would have ridden around the little 💩 thus saving myself from possible injury and my bike from possible damage.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
Personally, I would have ridden around the little 💩 thus saving myself from possible injury and my bike from possible damage.

And there is the dilemma, if I swerve to avoid him he may step in the same direction to avoid me, causing a collision, I gambled he would move.
I could have done an emergency stop with risk of falling off and giving him and his mates a laugh.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Just hope its a one off and the little idiot does not do it again, with any luck one of his friends will tell him how foolish he is?

Know every situation is different and its impossible to know the actions of others that along with having to make a judgement call there and then.

Maybe best course of action would be slow down and be ready to stop same as with driving a car but then again if you did stop theres the risk of ao a disagreement with a group of youths (out of the frying pan into the fire?

If you had any camera evidence report it otherwise just try and forget about it, dont let any muppet stop your cycling.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just hope its a one off and the little idiot does not do it again, with any luck one of his friends will tell him how foolish he is?

Know every situation is different and its impossible to know the actions of others that along with having to make a judgement call there and then.

Maybe best course of action would be slow down and be ready to stop same as with driving a car but then again if you did stop theres the risk of ao a disagreement with a group of youths (out of the frying pan into the fire?

If you had any camera evidence report it otherwise just try and forget about it, dont let any muppet stop your cycling.
Of course they won’t because they’re all equally stupid, next time it’ll be another of the imbeciles who is thick enough to think it’s clever to play chicken to show off to his mates. :rolleyes: Teenage boys everywhere are pretty much as thick as pig shoot.

Happens to me often in local park which is part of a cycle route :rolleyes:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
And there is the dilemma, if I swerve to avoid him he may step in the same direction to avoid me, causing a collision, I gambled he would move.
I could have done an emergency stop with risk of falling off and giving him and his mates a laugh.
You said the youths had plenty of time to cross the road but one chose to stand in your path. You clearly saw this unfolding in front of you but didn't slow sufficiently to avoid the potential for needing to swerve or an emergency stop.

Your post suggest you decided to teach the lad a lesson and now you're looking for approval from CCers. Sounds like a version of a punishment pass to me.

Top Bottom