Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's SOP, as recommended in Richard's Bicycle Book. If you stop, you will probably be mugged.

Having said that, you can be sent down if you actually kill or injure someone, so make sure you have legal insurance.

Slick

Guru
We all react differently in all sorts of situations but I really can't see a situation where I would point my bike at anyone. Its been a while since I used a cycle path as I now deliberately avoid them where possible, but after a recent house move I will be back to commuting regularly using these on a large chunk of it and incidents like this could be relatively common. My tact has always been to slow down when in an area where there is a risk of this happening and simply stop if any wee rat bag tries to be smart. I've been around the young team long enough to know how to shame them into an embarrassing retreat. :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's not uncommon on Friday Night Rides for this to happen, with lads wandering around at 2am with a skinful. Except we don't fly along at 20mph. I know one rider was brought down in this way.

The risk to the rider is mainly a glancing blow that doesn't do much harm to the pedestrian but causes a fall.

I don't have any great advice.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thinking about it, the last time it happened to me on a FNRttC my would-be assailant wasn't standing in the road but running into the road from the side with the aim of pushing me off. I saw him coming and used my mighty power reserve to accelerate a bit so he mistimed it completely and arrived too late.

Top Bottom