Diluting meths...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Nah, I decided to cut down....:smile:

kewb

hang on ,
you can dilute meths
what sorcery is this ?

btw guys you can make a trangia type burner from a drinks can ,
cut a can in half knock holes around base and top hey presto fill n burn
use stones or rock to form a pot rest and youve a stove .

hubbike

what is with you soot haters??

Quick science lesson:

Matt black absorbs heat, shiney silver reflects it. So black on the outside, silver on the inside means quicker tea. plus if you dilute meths it doesn't burn as hot.

why not leave your pots black? its not like you eat off the outside is it?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
vernon said:
Check that the Sigg bottle is lined with plastic. Meths corrodes aluminium.

Ah! I've looked and it doesn't look lined, so I've decanted the unused meths back into the bottle it came in...

Well, I got the Trangia working, made a couple of cups of morning tea. Couldn't make the firesteel light it the first morning - it will have been cold, which might be a factor, plus I've not used the firesteel yet apart from striking a few sparks into the sink, so I'm not very practised at aiming it. I bought some matches, and the next 2 mornings I brought the meths bottle into my sleeping bag to warm it up for half an hour first, and that worked a treat.

Good point about the soot hubbike - I'll use my meths neat (unless it's very hot and I need a drink, then I'll have it on the rocks...;))

djb1971

Legendary Member
Where did you go camping Arch?

It was cold in the mornings where I was. The firesteel works better once it's bedded in and the covering has been scrapped off. Just hope nobody sees you sneaking meths into the sleeping bag ;)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
djb1971 said:
Where did you go camping Arch?

It was cold in the mornings where I was. The firesteel works better once it's bedded in and the covering has been scrapped off. Just hope nobody sees you sneaking meths into the sleeping bag ;)

We were on a campsite on the edge of Presteigne, in the Welsh borders - attending the electric bike show as exhibitors. It was a bit chilly - and the Saturday was wet during the day so we had that cold and slightly damp feel. But it was good. First time I've camped on a campsite - all the other times have been fields at events and so on. It was apparently on the pricy side (£8 per person, per night), but the shower was nice and hot, and frankly, I think we'd have stumped up just for a hot shower! There was a little river by the field, and one of us saw a kingfisher....

I recommend the area - looked a bit lumpy, but some nice countryside, and Presteigne is heaving with cafes and stuff for a small town. Eat at the Royal Oak - good food, very reasonable prices.

The bottle of meths was like the opposite of a hot water bottle! But I stuck it next to my legs (wearing bikesters), and it did bring the meths up to a good temperature.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Very nice, I was just afew miles north of you. I was at Lake Vyrnwy on Friday/Saturday and it was freezing on saturday. I'd have paid more than £8 for a hot shower ;)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
djb1971 said:
Very nice, I was just afew miles north of you. I was at Lake Vyrnwy on Friday/Saturday and it was freezing on saturday. I'd have paid more than £8 for a hot shower ;)

You know you're in Wales when the vowels run out....;)

Lovely drive back today through bits of Salop, Herefordshire and Worcs. Lots of orchards and some hops, I think.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I was talking to a couple from Wrexham on Saturday who used to live in Llangollen and even they pronounced it with an 'L' so it looks like even the Welsh haved given up on their language. I just look for 'ARAF' and then either hit the brakes or lean in ;)

There's some nice riding to be had on the borders, when the weather in good. Think of the use that stove will get in summer ;)

toekneep

I've never bothered to dilute. I let the pans get sooty and black and every couple of years I give em a clean, whether they need it or not. Haven't tried a steel but I bought a very light slim gas lighter shaped like a pen and it is excellent. If the meths is cold you can actually hold the flame in the burner for a second or two while it lights.

Back to diluting, I believe that if you are using a Trangia below freezing a small percentage of petrol can help. I haven't tried it so please don't blame me for any accidents.

hubbike

I used white spirit in my trangia when I was about 18. Mainly due to not understanding greek. Big fire-ball. After it went out I put on the cap. Never to be unscrewed...

Top Bottom