Diluting meths...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
I use my Trangia a lot when I'm away for the week fishing, and for planning purposes I have found out that on average I use 2oz of meths to cook a meal and boil a pan of water which takes about 25 minutes in total.

I fish right through the depths of winter and never found cold to be an issue with it and a need to warm the meths up. Be aware if you have not found out already, that when lighting the Trangia, meths burns with a blue flame and can be hard to see sometimes and it is easy to burn yourself thinking its unlit. A simple way to light it if you have problems is just dip a piece of dried grass or something similar in the meths and light that then drop it into the burner and it then acts like a wick.

I have always stored mine in an aluminium bottle and never had any problems, Meths is mainly ethanol with additives, the biggest one, 10% is methanol which is corrosive to aluminium but maybe not enough to do damage to a bottle, just had a look inside my bottle and its still as shiny as the day I bought it and I've had meths in it for over a year now, but you may glean something from here, along with many other things for your camping from the entire website:-

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=685967

If you do a search in youtube there is a multitude of tutorials and tips on how to use them. There is also a website dedicated to cooking on a Trangia somwhere on the net.

zacklaws

Guru
Arch, made an error with my 2oz of fuel per meal, it relates to my Primus multifuel. I think I have it recorded roughly what I use on the Trangia in my notebook if I can get chance to peruse it over the weekend.But once again there is a good website, which goes into detail on cooking times etc. I shall have to try and find it.

Top Bottom