Dilys and the close escape(s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member

Tuesday 26th January Dilys decided to launch herself off a 5’ wall. It was a classic ’my back was turned for a second....’

I rushed her to the vet hospital in Plymouth. It turned out that she had broken her elbow. Not the kind of thing you need for a 12 week old pup.

The break was a bit complicated, so they got the local super vet in for an operation on the Thursday. Just as she was ab to start Dilys threw up. This isn’t ideal. The vet rang me.

We can delay til tomorrow- she still might be sick
we can delay until Monday- we have about a 5 day window. If it goes wrong it could mean amputation.
Or we take the risk and crack on and take the risk.

I asked her for 10 minutes. I weighed up the pro’s and cons. She rang back.
I told her to remove emotional puppy owner from the scenario, what would she do?
she said do it now. So I agreed.

She was being sick for a few days, but on Saturday evening they said she could come home. She was listless, limping and pathetic. She slept on my knee for a couple of hours, then slept in her crate over night.

on Sunday she was throwing up, dark brown and smelly.

I took her back in on Sunday morning. Phone calls ensued....
she’s bright
she’s waggy
she’s cute

but still being sick.

They had x rayed her a few times and found nothing. I had a call from the duty vet yesterday afternoon. No improvement, we don’t know, not sure what to do.
on Sunday she was a walking skeleton. I couldn’t begin to think what she looked like by Tuesday.
I asked about the future implications of what was going on. It was all quite negative. They talked about maybe having to put her down.

I couldn’t generate a tear, I was that numb. My divorce came through a couple of weeks ago, I was still feeling a bit flat from that crap. I wanted the injection.

I didn’t get a pup for her to be gone so soon. It was heart breaking.

At 6pm Kat the on duty vet rang. Did I mind if she opened up her stomach to see if there was a blockage.

She is insured, but she was very close to the limit cost wise.
My divorce has cost £10k
Other things were happening yesterday afternoon too.....
the transfer of my house to my sole name will be £1k
I have sold this house, it holds a lot of bad memories.= £1.2k solicitor bill
I have found a place =£1.5k

The vet told me the operation was £2k. She may not find anything.....

One last throw of the dice.

She found nothing.

But Dilys started to eat immediately after she came around. The food stayed down. She ate some more, and more........ and the food stayed in.

Kat, the vet thinks there was a twisted pipe in her stomach. The exploration undid it.

Last night I was contemplating having her put down. This evening she is snoring on the sofa next to me!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
A ‘like’ doesn’t really match the emotional rollercoaster of your story. Glad she’s on the mend.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
View attachment 571968

Tuesday 26th January Dilys decided to launch herself off a 5’ wall. It was a classic ’my back was turned for a second....’

I rushed her to the vet hospital in Plymouth. It turned out that she had broken her elbow. Not the kind of thing you need for a 12 week old pup.

The break was a bit complicated, so they got the local super vet in for an operation on the Thursday. Just as she was ab to start Dilys threw up. This isn’t ideal. The vet rang me.

We can delay til tomorrow- she still might be sick
we can delay until Monday- we have about a 5 day window. If it goes wrong it could mean amputation.
Or we take the risk and crack on and take the risk.

I asked her for 10 minutes. I weighed up the pro’s and cons. She rang back.
I told her to remove emotional puppy owner from the scenario, what would she do?
she said do it now. So I agreed.

She was being sick for a few days, but on Saturday evening they said she could come home. She was listless, limping and pathetic. She slept on my knee for a couple of hours, then slept in her crate over night.

on Sunday she was throwing up, dark brown and smelly.

I took her back in on Sunday morning. Phone calls ensued....
she’s bright
she’s waggy
she’s cute

but still being sick.

They had x rayed her a few times and found nothing. I had a call from the duty vet yesterday afternoon. No improvement, we don’t know, not sure what to do.
on Sunday she was a walking skeleton. I couldn’t begin to think what she looked like by Tuesday.
I asked about the future implications of what was going on. It was all quite negative. They talked about maybe having to put her down.

I couldn’t generate a tear, I was that numb. My divorce came through a couple of weeks ago, I was still feeling a bit flat from that crap. I wanted the injection.

I didn’t get a pup for her to be gone so soon. It was heart breaking.

At 6pm Kat the on duty vet rang. Did I mind if she opened up her stomach to see if there was a blockage.

She is insured, but she was very close to the limit cost wise.
My divorce has cost £10k
Other things were happening yesterday afternoon too.....
the transfer of my house to my sole name will be £1k
I have sold this house, it holds a lot of bad memories.= £1.2k solicitor bill
I have found a place =£1.5k

The vet told me the operation was £2k. She may not find anything.....

One last throw of the dice.

She found nothing.

But Dilys started to eat immediately after she came around. The food stayed down. She ate some more, and more........ and the food stayed in.

Kat, the vet thinks there was a twisted pipe in her stomach. The exploration undid it.

Last night I was contemplating having her put down. This evening she is snoring on the sofa next to me!
View attachment 571969
What a sad post and such a happy ending. She is gorgeous and I am so pleased for you that she will give you many more years of pleasure and love.

Rocky

Hello decadence
@Dave 123 - that's an amazing story. Having read your post, my wife has a tear in her eye - as have I.

We are both keeping our fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Plus good luck for sorting everything else out. Give Dilys a hug from us both.

OP
OP
Dave 123

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@Dave 123 - that's an amazing story. Having read your post, my wife has a tear in her eye - as have I.

We are both keeping our fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Plus good luck for sorting everything else out. Give Dilys a hug from us both.

it went steadily down hill from there. She was still being sick maybe 10 times a day. Mostly just bile, but she’s lost an awful lot of weight.
She was really quite rough still on Wednesday. Since then she has started to come back to life gradually.
Today she has only been sick once, and she is full of herself! Thankfully.

Bone break, shock, a lorry load of drugs...... it’s an awful lot for a small body to take.

I‘m just hoping she will go from strength to strength.

Top Bottom