Ding in wheel :O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
My back 9100 wheel hit a pothole at high speed. The brake track is slightly bending in for about 30mm. I’ve seen worse, it works fine but the distortion is there. Should I bend it back with my big adjustable & carry on or spend money at the LBS? Do they have any special methods of straightening back up? I could try my mole grips on it.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Use a spoke key and true it. Do not use grips

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So it’s a dent rather than something truing could fix? You could try bending it out but it’ll never be perfect. You’ll probably have to get the spoke key out as well. If that bothers you it’s new rim time.

presta

Guru
When you bend metal it becomes work hardened, so if you just grab it and try to bend it back it will want to bend anywhere but where it bent originally, because it favours where it's softer rather than harder. You then end up with a double bend, not a straight.

The secret to working metal is to trammel it so that it's forced to bend where you want and not where it wants, but as every bend is unique, so is each repair job. There's usually an element of trial and error involved, but the important thing is to watch carefully, and if it's not going the way you want, stop, and try something else. If you're careful, you can often see what's going to happen before you've bent anything past its elastic limit, but if you do end up with a bend you don't want you can continue with the same techniques to get it out again.

My father could get dinks out of steel rims without any bother, but then, he was a professional sheet metal worker.....

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
It’s not far from true but what about the dent? It’s not an issue with disk brakes but the pad won’t like the ding area.
If you can use a soft grip for the rim ding it's worth a try.
Ease it out with some soft wood, wedging a piece of batton in between opposite rim walls can square them up with limited grating
Above all keep the metal smooth.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Adjustable wrapped in a cloth will do. If the rim isn't worn, then go for it, but bend once. If it's worn, time for new wheels.

This is what I’ll do, LBS would only do what I’d do it’s just they can true afterwards. The wheels are carbon with the alloy brake track. Terrible idea, after using my Hunt full carbons I could never go back to alloy again.

I had this happen to a set of R500’s years back when I hit a cattlegrid on a descent which I didn’t know was there.

The LBS hammered it out from inside the rim and got it as straight as they could but seating a tyre was a bit of a pain afterwards and didn’t always seat first time. Once all fitted you couldn’t feel the dent or feel the temporary loss of brake traction so got many happy miles once repaired.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I had this happen to a set of R500’s years back when I hit a cattlegrid on a descent which I didn’t know was there.

The LBS hammered it out from inside the rim and got it as straight as they could but seating a tyre was a bit of a pain afterwards and didn’t always seat first time. Once all fitted you couldn’t feel the dent or feel the temporary loss of brake traction so got many happy miles once repaired.
I may tap with a mallet & persuade it flush. At least the tire seats well still.

Top Bottom