Dinotte 140L rear light - or an alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
And mine, all the road signs behind me even on a lit road just flash red ;).

Origamist

Legendary Member
I guess the batteries could have been flagging. Anyway, you guys are better placed to know.

It does make you think how powerful the 400 model is though...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I don't think the 400 would be a good idea in urban settings.

The 140L on the steady flash does seem to wind drivers up a bit, more especially in close, slow moving traffic.

I keep mine on the intermediate flash which in itself is enough to take out the retinas of any tailgating moton.:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Origamist said:
I guess the batteries could have been flagging. Anyway, you guys are better placed to know.

It does make you think how powerful the 400 model is though...

The 400L is even better, I have been told I can be seen at over a mile in full day light! At night, it looks like the road is on fire behind me... it is amazing just how much road space drivers give me... :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
tdr1nka said:
I don't think the 400 would be a good idea in urban settings.

The 140L on the steady flash does seem to wind drivers up a bit, more especially in close, slow moving traffic.

I keep mine on the intermediate flash which in itself is enough to take out the retinas of any tailgating moton.:biggrin:

It is no problem in an urban setting, the mounting is different and it is easy to point it down so that it illuminates the road behind the back wheel. I only use it is flashing mode in daylight, at night I use it on constant, which as I say above, has the effect of making the road look like it is on fire!!

Origamist

Legendary Member
HJ said:
The 400L is even better, I have been told I can be seen at over a mile in full day light! At night, it looks like the road is on fire behind me... it is amazing just how much road space drivers give me... ;)

That's the effect I like on unlit country lanes with fast approaching rear traffic. The 3w LED on steady bathes the road in ruby red, creating a ""sensory buffer" (that's my take on it).

I'm going to get another torch - probably overkill, but two attached to the seatstays will pump out approx 200 lumen and that is superb for 15 quid. I doubt their longevity, but if they last for one winter,it is fine at that price...

scook94

Veteran
HJ said:
The 400L is even better, I have been told I can be seen at over a mile in full day light! At night, it looks like the road is on fire behind me... it is amazing just how much road space drivers give me... ;)

Having seen HJ's 400 rear lights first hand I can testify to their retina searing ability in broad daylight first hand. So much so that I'm expecting delivery of mine on Tuesday (after paying the 41 quid import duty). (Also got a set of 400 headlights on order too... :smile: )

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
scook94 said:
Having seen HJ's 400 rear lights first hand I can testify to their retina searing ability in broad daylight first hand. So much so that I'm expecting delivery of mine on Tuesday (after paying the 41 quid import duty). (Also got a set of 400 headlights on order too... :smile: )
[makes note to ride in front of scook94 on next CC Scotland Forum ride ;)]

Talking to the guys at "Exposure" at the Cycle Show....

I like their "Redeye", but do not want to buy a battery pack or extend cables along the whole frame of a recumbent.

Exposure-REDEYE.1.jpg

When I mentioned that this was what was putting me off they said they were looking at an all in one similar to the "Joystick"

Joystick-MaXx.jpg

This sounds like an ideal answer.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I have a redeye on my Fujin, with a spare 1 cell battery in the tailbox. It's great, but I kinda want the full 240 lumens rather than the dumbed down 80 of the redeye. Even that is bright enough to get that 5m tailgating driver to drop to 25m back when you take the lane through a pinchpoint.

Top Bottom