Dire Need of Assistance RE Bike Hire/Second Hand Bike Purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Dontgotomaine

Regular
Assuming you’re flying into London, perhaps @biggs682 has something you could buy and pick up (sort of en route) (and maybe he’d buy it back afterwards)

If I cant find a hire I may opt to have Halford's build me a bike and pick it up in Lancaster. It takes away any unexpected surprises from buying a bike from Gumtree that's been in someone's garage for 3 years. @biggs682 Would you legitimately be interested in purchasing a bike from me if I went that route? Looks like an Apollo Belmont would probably do the trick for a week's worth of riding.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Im far more preferential to hybrids. Been consistently riding since 2008, and have always settled on hybrids. Im a big guy, and have always felt more comfortable with a wider tire compared to whats usually found on road bikes.

Ok fair comment , all i was going to say was that i have this https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/pinnacle-sentinal-1-0-large-frame-size.284728/ for sale and if it rocked your boat you are more than welcome to borrow it after leaving me a deposit , the only bike i have with flat bars ia an old non susp Marin mtb but it's not been used for a couple of years .

Would i buy a bike off you yes if the price was right .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like the Belmont might just fit the bill. One word of warning, Halfords builds can be very variable due to their high turnover of staff, you might get lucky, you might not, so be sure the check the bike over very thoroughly when you pick it up. You don't want any nasty surprises. :smile:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Might be worth calling these guys too https://www.r-evolution.org.uk/ They are based in Cottingham, just outside Hull. They used to be based at Hull station, many of the bikes they had were BSOs but you could get lucky 🤞 Also if you are wanting to donate any bike to a charity after the ride, they would probably help out there too :okay:

OP
OP
D

Dontgotomaine

Regular
Update: I ended up purchasing a bike from Leeds with assistance from my friend. I will pick it up en route to Morecambe. Does anyone have experience taking bicycles on the train in the UK? I notice many trains have a bike reservation system, however they all seem to be unavailable. Do you think it would be an issue if I showed up with a bicycle without a reservation? Thanks for any advice.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Update: I ended up purchasing a bike from Leeds with assistance from my friend. I will pick it up en route to Morecambe. Does anyone have experience taking bicycles on the train in the UK? I notice many trains have a bike reservation system, however they all seem to be unavailable. Do you think it would be an issue if I showed up with a bicycle without a reservation? Thanks for any advice.

It depends on the train company. I think Leeds to Morecambe might be Northern. You don't need to book on Northern. Up here in the North East the conductors tend to be very helpful about getting bikes on and, unless the train is very busy, often allow more than the two bikes that are strictly permitted.

I'd avoid travelling at peak times when the trains might be busy but you should probably be ok.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Leeds to Morecambe is a Northern service and generally this train company is very accomodating towards cyclists. Booking is always a good idea if you can but I wouldn't worry about it on this journey if you can't.

You'll hear plenty of stories of the dire difficulties of getting a bike on a train. Up here it's not a great problem. I have once been refused travel by Virgin Trains on the WCM, now run by Avanti, I knew their ticket only policy but took a chance which failed. I had 12 months of commuting with Transpennine and Northern and only once failed to get on a train as it was physically impossible.

May well be very different in the southern half of the country but not up here.

Top Bottom