Dire Straits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My dad bought their albums way back in the early 80's and I've recently been able to listen to them again after converting them to mp3.

Some of the best guitar work I've ever heard, even 25 years later. I don't know a riff from a strum (ooo err) but the clarity of Mark Knopfler's guitar is amazing.

My favorites:

Sultans Of Swing
News
Tunnel Of Love
Telegraph Road
Single-Handed Sailor

amongst others. Any other Dire Straits fans on here with their favorite tracks?

Bigtallfatbloke

Brothers in arms is bloody good...

rob_mcp

Hey that makes me feel old - I'm pretty sure I first heard sultans of swing in 6th Form when it came out! Anyway - you might find there are some real gems in the '70s Today working with itunes playign on shuffle I've had some Steely Dan, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Eno, Talking heads, Manzenera and to top it all a Tangerine dream track!

Just in case you think I'm just another crusty old music dinosaur that has only made up about a quarter of what's played today!

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Brothers in arms is bloody good...
was never one of my favorites and then it was used i think at the end of the 2nd series of the west wing in a very dramatic moment which was brilliant.

postman

Legendary Member
Put's hand up at the back.Have 7 discs.Mark and Dire.On Every Street-heavy fuel and iron hand.Sailing to Philadelphia-prairie wedding-speedway at nazareth.The Ragpickers Dream-Why aye man-Brothers in arms-Fare thee well Northumberland.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Romeo and Juliet is the only track of theirs I have ever liked. Mind I was only 22 and in lurrve.

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

Kirstie said:
One of my friends used to be in a band with mark knopfler, and they fired him for being crap. Then he went on to form dire straits...friend is kicking himself, but still thinks MK is crap.
better to have thought he was crap from a position of mutual wealth!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
They are brilliant. I like:
Sultans of Swing
Money for Nothing
There on my ipod just after Rolf Harris.

trustysteed, like other posters above, you make me feel old, especially with comments like, "..way back in the early 1980's", cheers fella;)

Listened to Dire Straits quite a lot at the time, and have recently listened again (although for me, that's only on those new fangled CD whatsits - only because I can't play my vinyl in the garage when I'm on the turbo:biggrin:), and this time round have enjoyed their earlier stuff more than the later.

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

Toshiba Boy said:
trustysteed, like other posters above, you make me feel old, especially with comments like, "..way back in the early 1980's", cheers fella;)

Listened to Dire Straits quite a lot at the time, and have recently listened again (although for me, that's only on those new fangled CD whatsits - only because I can't play my vinyl in the garage when I'm on the turbo:biggrin:), and this time round have enjoyed their earlier stuff more than the later.
well, i am 40! but i was about 13 when i first heard and always liked their early stuff.

Top Bottom