Direct Mount Brake Callipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I can’t seem to find an answer online.

What is the advantage of Direct Mount Brake Callipers over other more common brakes?

si_c

Guru
Two pivots instead of one, which makes the brake stiffer and gives it more control and possibly more power. I've got a set on one of my bikes and they are by far and away the best rim brakes I've used.

If you go rim brakes they are the best option - but you won't be able to retrofit them to an existing bike they require dedicated mounting points on the frame and forks. If you're buying a new bike though I'd opt for discs over direct mount rim brakes.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Two pivots instead of one, which makes the brake stiffer and gives it more control and possibly more power. I've got a set on one of my bikes and they are by far and away the best rim brakes I've used.

If you go rim brakes they are the best option - but you won't be able to retrofit them to an existing bike they require dedicated mounting points on the frame and forks. If you're buying a new bike though I'd opt for discs over direct mount rim brakes.
Thanks for that, I am considering a new bike that has these brakes, I don’t really want a road bike with discs, I have two bikes with disc brakes and they’ve both been a PITA.

I I’m finding difficult to understand how having two pivots makes braking better after all it’s still two shoes on the rim. They’re not very nice looking either.

I I’m finding difficult to understand how having two pivots makes braking better after all it’s still two shoes on the rim. They’re not very nice looking either.
The distance between pivot and shoe is shorter, hence less flex, hence better control.

I don’t really want a road bike with discs, I have two bikes with disc brakes and they’ve both been a PITA.
What's wrong with your discs?
Good discs are better than anything else, including direct mount brakes.
Going from discs to direct mount is a step backwards.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thanks for your reply YS. That seems to make sense about the callipers.

There’s nothing currently wrong with my discs, but they have been a faff in the past, especially in the MTB when I accidentally got WD40 on one of them. I feel they are more of a pain to maintain than callipers.

I don’t really like the look of disc brakes on road bikes, and I’m not convinced in that they are significantly better on road bikes than good calliper brakes. Having said that the callipers above are not particularly attractive either.
Anyway thanks for the answers folks, now I know.

Thanks for your reply YS. That seems to make sense about the callipers.

There’s nothing currently wrong with my discs, but they have been a faff in the past, especially in the MTB when I accidentally got WD40 on one of them. I feel they are more of a pain to maintain than callipers.

I don’t really like the look of disc brakes on road bikes, and I’m not convinced in that they are significantly better on road bikes than good calliper brakes. Having said that the callipers above are not particularly attractive either.
Anyway thanks for the answers folks, now I know.
They do look a bit brutal !

si_c

Guru
The Shimano direct mount calipers look really nice, Google the R8010 caliper.

Discs are better overall the action is so much lighter for braking it's hard to compare. That being said, in the dry, you won't see much difference in stopping power.

si_c

Guru
Nice, pick the bike that makes you happiest, don't worry too much about braking type.

Top Bottom