Direction of tyre rotation-Schwalbe Durano leaflet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
There is a difference in performance, dependent on which way round you mount the tyre. It’s partly due to a fluid dynamic effect, which is exacerbated if they tyre is moving through water, which isn’t great, but it is there. If you put the tyre on the wrong way round, you will lose Watts, unnecessarily, and that is a DISASTER. More pertinent to the majority of people, is that the tyre will behave differently under braking. They work better, with the tyre mounted the correct way round.
I can often not tell whether rr is joking or not, but for the avoidance of doubt, the contribution above has no validity.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I split my rear Durano Raceguard 700x32 on some glass a wee while back and although the split has only increased by 1mm approximately it has now started to bulge slightly nearest the wall. The boot I put in has also allowed the tyre to have a slightly different shape and when you ride on smooth tarmac, it feels like there is a flint or something stuck on the tyre. On the turbo it is audible. Annoying in fact. Taking advice from the wise and careful types on here I decided to get another.

I ordered another tyre from Tredz and it arrived today. WITH the rotation arrow at no extra cost. Bargain.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/what-effect-do-tyres-have-on-aerodynamics-324578

It’s explained here ( regarding the dependency of direction / pattern on aero)

325BF840-0CA7-46A6-9412-260DACFAC6BE.jpeg

And here regarding grip / braking performance.

Ajax Bay

Guru
First of all, welcome back from your sabbatical, @Racing roadkill
It’s explained here ( regarding the dependency of direction / pattern on aero)
The link you offered makes no mention of the importance or not of the direction that the tyre is fitted.
And here regarding grip / braking performance.
I have to observe that Mr Cotty's advice/opinion is flawed with logical anomalies.
Recalling that tread on cycle tyres offers no advantage regarding water dispersal:
1) He suggests that the tread (if orientated the 'correct' way') will afford "better water evacuation in the curves" (what does that mean? round bends?)
2) Since the tyres are both going round the same way (assumes bike is going forward) if there was any merit in this 'water evacuation', why would you want the one tyre to go on one way and the other to go on the other way? Agree that the critical function of the rear is to effect drive and that of the front to allow braking, but these sipes (as in the diagrams) will have no relevant beneficial effect.
Mr Cotty, the 'Mavic Community Manager' (lucky guy) might wish to review this (his own company's) Schwalbe advice: https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/profil.html
"In the case of a road tyre the rolling direction is mainly important for aesthetic considerations. Tires(sic) marked with arrows simply look more dynamic." (my emboldening)

Last edited:
First of all, welcome back from your sabbatical, @Racing roadkill

The link you offered makes no mention of the importance or not of the direction that the tyre is fitted.

I have to observe that Mr Cotty's advice/opinion is flawed with logical anomalies.
Recalling that tread on cycle tyres offers no advantage regarding water dispersal:
1) He suggests that the tread (if orientated the 'correct' way') will afford "better water evacuation in the curves" (what does that mean? round bends?)
2) Since the tyres are both going round the same way (assumes bike is going forward) if there was any merit in this 'water evacuation', why would you want the one tyre to go on one way and the other to go on the other way? Agree that the critical function of the rear is to effect drive and that of the front to allow braking, but these sipes (as in the diagrams) will have no relevant beneficial effect.
MR Cotty, the 'Mavic Community Manager (lucky guy) might wish to review this Schwalbe advice: https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/profil.html
"In the case of a road tyre the rolling direction is mainly important for aesthetic considerations. Tires(sic) marked with arrows simply look more dynamic." (my emboldening)
Yawwwn

Tangoup51

I wouldn't get caught up too much about all this drivel with tyre direction. Honestly it's boring and while i'm all for putting tyres on the 'arrow' way, there really are more important things in the world.

. . . Like did you stop & think whether you put your innertubes in the right way round?

I wouldn't get caught up too much about all this drivel with tyre direction. Honestly it's boring and while i'm all for putting tyres on the 'arrow' way, there really are more important things in the world.

. . . Like did you stop & think whether you put your innertubes in the right way round?

Well if you want to argue with

“Jean-Paul Ballard is an aerodynamicist, engineer and co-founder of Swiss Side, who has over 14 years’ experience as a lead engineer in Formula One teams”

about it, I’m sure he’s bothered.
:laugh:

Top Bottom