Direction of tyre rotation-Schwalbe Durano leaflet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I fitted a new 25x700c tyre recently. The enclosed leaflet had a diagram of an arrow on a tyre, instructing direction of rotation.

I have not been able to see any arrow on the actual tyre.

The picture on the leaflet (see photo) shows what could be a MTB tyre or maybe a knobly type of winter tyre for a road bike.

Maybe the leaflet is just a generic one that is enclosed with all tyres by this company?

Any thoughts?
2017-12-27 14.38.47.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
I have Schwalbe Duranos, a road type tyre wth minimal tread. I didn't bother trying to get the direction to match the arrow when I recently changed the tyre. 50/50 chance I got it right (or wrong)

Can be quite hard to see the arrows, but maybe if your tyre is totally slick it doesn't have one

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The witches and wizards may say direction on something as slick as a Durano won’t make much difference. That said my 700x32 tyres have the arrow. The chevron pattern of the slits on the tyre have the ‘sharpest’ point of the taper at the front of the direction of rotation.

That’s probably as clear as mud but if you need photos just shout.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I fitted a new 25x700c tyre recently.
What model of tyre?
Schwalbe: https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/profil.html
"What do the direction arrows mean?"
"Most Schwalbe tyre sidewalls are marked with a ROTATION arrow, which indicates the recommended rolling direction. When in use, the tyre should run in the direction of the arrow."
"Why are so many treads direction dependant(sic)?"
"In the case of a road tyre the rolling direction is mainly important for aesthetic considerations. Tires(sic) marked with arrows simply look more dynamic."
My emboldening.
I refer the honourable member to this Cycle Chat thread which covered significant ground:
Tyres-on-the-wrong-way-for-over-two-years

I fitted some in September and mine had a difficult to see direction arrow. I did fit them correctly but I'm pretty sure it makes no difference.

There is a difference in performance, dependent on which way round you mount the tyre. It’s partly due to a fluid dynamic effect, which is exacerbated if they tyre is moving through water, which isn’t great, but it is there. If you put the tyre on the wrong way round, you will lose Watts, unnecessarily, and that is a DISASTER.
More pertinent to the majority of people, is that the tyre will behave differently under braking. They work better, with the tyre mounted the correct way round.

vickster

Legendary Member
. . . .and your insurance will be invalid when you have an accident.
It will be anyway if you've changed the tyres from what the bike was originally supplied with ;) unless you've declared the change to the manufacturer original specification ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
The full description is Schwalbe Durano Raceguard. They are nice tyres. It is fitted on the rear.

I bought a pair but the other one is still folded up in it's box. The orginal front tyre is still okay.
I have those, there is a directional arrow, it's by the size, inflation markings etc. These were the wired 32mm version, maybe the folding one don't have it

Top Bottom