Tyres on the wrong way for over two years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've never paid any notice of those arrows. As you say, no discernible difference, not for a road tyre anyway. I imagine it would make a difference on a tyre designed for mud.

Ajax Bay

Guru
They only put the arrow on to avoid people bothering them to ask 'Does it matter which way they go on?' or 'why is there no direction of rotation arrow?'
At least the tyres had decent tread so they gripped well. :whistle:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Tread on a car tyre is there to displace water. Bicycle tyres are too narrow for any water to accumulate under the tyre so tread on a road tyre is completely useless.
There's a study on tyre direction that says it makes not a jot of difference to the bikes handling regarding which direction they are fitted in. No idea where I saw that study though. Sowwy.

Vegan1

Tread on a tyre is there for the same reason that you get tread on a car tyre to displace water. It's correct to have the tyre arrow pointing towards the direction of travel.

Drago

Legendary Member
Tyres on the wrong way? You maniac!

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I've had my tyres on the wrong way, the rear for over two years, I bought this year's tyre model yesterday and it now has a new arrow pointing in the direction of travel on the side wall.

Changed the tyres, so both are now the correct orientation, but, no discernible difference on my ride. :cry:
I have had my tyres on the wrong way for 3 years.
I do sometimes reverse my bike they are then on the right way but i guess it would fail an M O T. ;)

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've had my tyres on the wrong way, the rear for over two years, I bought this year's tyre model yesterday and it now has a new arrow pointing in the direction of travel on the side wall.

Changed the tyres, so both are now the correct orientation, but, no discernible difference on my ride. :cry:
You realise the Velominati read CC? You're screwed.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Many years ago we had a talk at our motorcycle club by Alan Blake, the head technical honcho at the time, from Avon Tyres.
He explained that during the manufacturing process the tread is put on the tyre carcass with a small amount of overlay, where one end sits on top of the other.
If the tyre was put on in the wrong direction, it could result in the tread lifting under heavy braking or acceleration. He showed us an example of a rear tyre that had done exactly that.
I doubt whether a cyclist could accelerate hard enough to cause tread lift, but heavy braking downhill at speed could possibly generate the conditions necessary for it to occur.

Top Bottom