Tyres on the wrong way for over two years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
No, I don't think a slick tyre would displace water in the same way that a treaded tyre would.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ho-z.html
Search for 'hydroplaning' in the page.

What does the tyre tread do?

On a normal, smooth road, the tread has only limited influence on the riding properties. The grip generated by the tyre on the road is almost exclusively the result of the rubber compound.

Unlike a car, a bicycle will not aquaplane. The contact area is much smaller and the contact pressure is much higher. The floating effect of aquaplaning could only theoretically be achieved on a bicycle ridden at speeds over 200 km/h.

Off road though, the tread is very important. In this situation the tread establishes an interlocking cog-like connection with the ground and enables the transmission of all driving, braking and steering forces. On rough or dirty roads, the tread can also contribute to better control.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I initially responded regarding a tread pattern on a tyre displacing water. Others have bought in aquaplaning.
Tread patterns are there to displace water and thereby increase the speed at which aquaplaning occurs on tyres that have a combination of factors ie. low enough contact pressure, large enough contact area with the road surface or high enough speed to induce it.
Bicycle tyres achieve none of the above criteria; tread is only there for aesthetics.

Last edited:

Vegan1

Tread patterns are there to displace water and thereby increase the speed at which aquaplaning occurs on tyres that have a low enough contact pressure, large enough contact area with the road surface or high enough speed to induce it.
Bicycle tyres have none of the above criteria; tread is only there for aesthetics.

No, I'd still say that a treaded tyre displaces water.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not going to discuss an anecdote which is biased.
Do you, or anyone else, have any evidence that tread is necessary on road bike tyres?

Top Bottom