Tyres on the wrong way for over two years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vegan1

It does and it will displace more water than a slick.
It does this to increase the speed at which aquaplaning occurs.
There is no other reason for having tread on a tyre used on tarmac.
However, since it has been explained several times that bikes don't aquaplane, due to several factors, the use of tread is purely cosmetic.

Thank you for agreeing my first post that I made in this thread.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It does and it will displace more water than a slick.
It does this to increase the speed at which aquaplaning occurs.
There is no other reason for having tread on a tyre used on tarmac.
However, since it has been explained several times that bikes don't aquaplane, due to several factors, the use of tread is purely cosmetic.
That's questionable...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My point is that a treaded tyre displaces water.
Nope. Let's be clear. That was NOT your original point. Your original point was
Tread on a tyre is there for the same reason that you get tread on a car tyre to displace water.
Why is there tread on a car tyre? To prevent aquaplaning.
Is that the same reason you have tread on a bicycle tyre? No, because unless Louis Hamilton is giving you a tow you can't aquaplane a bike tyre.

QED.

Vegan1

[QUOTE 4837294, member: 45"]On a wet road, what makes you lose grip?

OK, I'll answer it for you. It's the water getting between the tyre and the road. People view aquaplaning as a car "surfing" on top of a pool of water, but this is the same concept that you're talking about.

A bike tyre is narrow enough that it simply pushes (with help from the downward force of you and the bike) the water to the sides, at any speed that you'd like to ride. A car tyre has a much wider, flat contact area, so tread is set into the tyre to allow channels for water to be pushed through and minimising the possibility of it getting between the rubber and the road and the car losing grip.

Tread on mountain bike tyres isn't there to prevent aquaplaning either. It's there to manage riding on loose and muddy surfaces. Like a tractor, and I can't think of a situation where a tractor might be at risk of aquaplaning.[/QUOTE]

It does not push the water to the sides. LOL

It's just the arrows? That's a relief, for a minute there I thought you'd been riding with a rear tyre on the front and a front on the rear. That would be silly.

Unless you cycle backwards:

Vegan1

[QUOTE 4837315, member: 45"]Where do you think it goes then?

This is how discussion works -someone puts a view forward and then someone else agrees or disagrees. If you're disagreeing, you need to counter that view.

And preferably all of it, not just choosing one aspect you disagree with to distract from the rest of the quote that you can't.

So, can you flesh it out a bit?....[/QUOTE]

It remains on the road?

I can't see a road tyre providing enough force to completely displace water thus leaving the road which the tyre has just gone over dry.

IIRC there was an argument between the followers of the late Sheldon Brown and those of Chris Boardman

Boardman stated that in the Tour de France in wet conditions riders used wider tyres with tread, whereas Sheldon Brown argued that the tread limited the contact area and was therefore the wrong decision.

There was no categorical answer

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Thank you for agreeing my first post that I made in this thread.
That was never an issue, so there is no need to thank me.
The issue is whether treaded tyres are necessary on a bicycle, in order to displace water on a tarmac surface. This was what your first post suggested.

Tread on a tyre is there for the same reason that you get tread on a car tyre to displace water. It's correct to have the tyre arrow pointing towards the direction of travel.

They are not there for that reason on bicycle tyres, due to reasons explained more than once.
Treads are there for purely cosmetic/marketing reasons.

Top Bottom