Tyres on the wrong way for over two years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm in South Africa where the winter sun is shining but I can tell it's raining in the UK as seven pages of argument have appeared on this thread since I posted earlier this morning. People ought to fit mudguards and get out more.

Vegan1

[QUOTE 4837429, member: 45"]<prepares to be shot down>
Grip is actually increased when cornering, as you're introducing another force pushing onto the road, but the "slide off" point (don't know the technical term) is more dramatic and consequences of losing grip greater.[/QUOTE]

Co-efficient of friction.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So how can a tyre leave a trail of water on the road but still have grip if there is water between the tyre and the road which would be the trail of water left on the road?

Irrelevant.

Tread on a tyre is there for the same reason that you get tread on a car tyre to displace water. .

The tread on a bike tyre is not there for the same reasons as the tread on a car tyre.
The tread on a bike tyre is not there to displace water.

And that really is all there is to say on the matter.:banghead:

The tyre's are directional for either the tread pattern to disperse water away from the tyre's centre, then away from the shoulders most efficiently, or because that's the direction in which the tread / rubber was laid on the carcass. You probably won't notice too much difference in performance unless you are braking very hard, riding with standing water, or cornering at high speed. Doing any of those things with the tyre on the wrong way round, will mean the tyre is not doing it's job as efficiently as it could, it could lead to a de lamination ( not good at speed, or cornering / braking hard) and the tyre will wear out more quickly ( whether you notice or not is a different story).

davidphilips

Veteran
Mudguards saved my life once.

Raceblades killed my head set once, Think they would do it again but i fooled the craftie so and sos (that seems like a signal for help) by extending the front with some tape so the spray is not forced into the head set.

Now heres a good question how much slower do touring tyres make a road bike than slicks?
Any one notice what a big difference tyres can make theres a group i go out with and to me they seem quite slow yet when i fitted touring tyres the group suddenly seemed quite fast?
refitted slicks and my bike was faster again?

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
andre_previn.jpg
Look here are the instructions.The tyres were ok,it was the frame you had the wrong way round.

[QUOTE 4837429, member: 45"]<prepares to be shot down>
Grip is actually increased when cornering, as you're introducing another force pushing onto the road, but the "slide off" point (don't know the technical term) is more dramatic and consequences of losing grip greater.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't work like that.
When cornering you have two forces acting on the tyre as you surmised. However, the one force is the Normal Force, which is your weight x the sine of the angle of lean. Doesn't matter what it is, but it is always less than the Normal Force at 90 degrees.
The centripetal force acts purely horizontally (no matter that the bike is leaning) and only has a negative effect on friction. It acts against available friction but doesn't add to it. Otherwise we'll be able to corner iniinitely fast.

The coefficient of friction is simply the "Strength" of the particular brand of friction you move or attempt to move two friction pairs (in this case rubber and asphalt) against each other.

The tyre's are directional for either the tread pattern to disperse water away from the tyre's centre, then away from the shoulders most efficiently, or because that's the direction in which the tread / rubber was laid on the carcass. You probably won't notice too much difference in performance unless you are braking very hard, riding with standing water, or cornering at high speed. Doing any of those things with the tyre on the wrong way round, will mean the tyre is not doing it's job as efficiently as it could, it could lead to a de lamination ( not good at speed, or cornering / braking hard) and the tyre will wear out more quickly ( whether you notice or not is a different story).

You are smoking your airless tyres again. But there's no reasoning with you. I'm just replying as a cautionary to others who may think you have a Phd in tribology too. You don't.

Top Bottom