Tyres on the wrong way for over two years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I've had my helmet on back to front all day today, and had to cycle home in reverse to avoid aquaplaning...

'On a normal, smooth road, even in wet conditions, a slick tyre actually provides better grip than a tyre with a tread, because the contact area is larger.'
Didn't you read the Schwalbe information?

I'm afraid Schwalbe has it right, but for the wrong reason. In friction, the contact area is irrelevant. Fr= mu x Fn There is no provision for area in the formula.

Yes indeed, there's always a microscopic thin layer of water left, and it's the irregularities in the road surface at that scale that penetrate it and 'key' with the deforming rubber of the tyre. And, of course, the microscopic layer of water is there under a treaded tyre just as much as a slick - but there's less rubber to key with the road surface.
You got it wrong there. There is no mechanical interlocking of shapes creating a mechanical resistance of sorts.

The rest is sound. The microscopic layer you refer to is the boundary layer and it increases grip over that of a bulk water layer. That's why you lick your fingers to open a plastic bag and not run it under the tap. However sticky, the boundary layer is still less grippy than the road irregularities it isolates from the rubber. These irregularities adhere to the tyre through Van der Waals forces, a chemical phenomena, not physical as "key" suggests.

IIRC there was an argument between the followers of the late Sheldon Brown and those of Chris Boardman

Boardman stated that in the Tour de France in wet conditions riders used wider tyres with tread, whereas Sheldon Brown argued that the tread limited the contact area and was therefore the wrong decision.

There was no categorical answer
Boardman was wrong. He's no scientist.

Alan O

Über Member
You got it wrong there. There is no mechanical interlocking of shapes creating a mechanical resistance of sorts.

The rest is sound. The microscopic layer you refer to is the boundary layer and it increases grip over that of a bulk water layer. That's why you lick your fingers to open a plastic bag and not run it under the tap. However sticky, the boundary layer is still less grippy than the road irregularities it isolates from the rubber. These irregularities adhere to the tyre through Van der Waals forces, a chemical phenomena, not physical as "key" suggests.
Ah, got you, thanks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
At least the tyres had decent tread so they gripped well. :whistle:
Please note that I whistled - and am gratified that an enthusiast responded - and away we went - 9 pages!
I initially responded regarding a tread pattern on a tyre displacing water.
Well actually you can see that I didn't say anything about displacing water.
I don't think a slick tyre would displace water in the same way that a treaded tyre would.
Rubber presses down: water is squeezed away.
:popcorn: This is better than a helmet thread.
Thank you for the implicit cheer.
The tyre's are directional for either the tread pattern to disperse water away from the tyre's centre, then away from the shoulders most efficiently, or because that's the direction in which the tread / rubber was laid on the carcass. You probably won't notice too much difference in performance unless you are braking very hard, riding with standing water, or cornering at high speed. Doing any of those things with the tyre on the wrong way round, will mean the tyre is not doing it's job as efficiently as it could, it could lead to a de lamination ( not good at speed, or cornering / braking hard) and the tyre will wear out more quickly ( whether you notice or not is a different story).
I will just assume you are just trolling - please put a smiley in so we know this. What treaded tyres do you run on your road bike, or are they treadless?

Top Bottom