Tyres on the wrong way for over two years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vegan1

[QUOTE 4837336, member: 45"]But not under the tyre, because then there would be no grip.

It does. Otherwise you'd have no grip.[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek::eek:

You riding on wet roads, not on ice. farking hell.

Alan O

Über Member
Folks, here's a piece about tyre tread I read a while ago, which seems quite interesting - just found it again now...

http://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage...he-importance-of-tread-pattern-on-cycle-tyres

Ah, and here's Jobst Brandt on the same subject...

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/slicks.html

Last edited:

Vegan1

Hey, V1, if you've got a bike, turn your tyres inside out to see what happens.

I feel like I've just wasted 20 minutes of my life, the above is really difficult.

Even with a foldable bead which I've got turning a tyre inside out to mount on a wheel is nigh on impossible.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
[QUOTE 4837336, member: 45"]It does. Otherwise you'd have no grip.[/QUOTE]
Not necessarily completely dry.
Moving enough water to leave the surface damp is what generally happens. This is the point where a treaded tyre hasn't got enough surfacewater to shift and so becomes redundant. Due to various reasons discussed up thread, this point where a treaded tyre would start to work better than a slick is never reached on a bicycle. There is, however, a consequent diminishing of grip due to a slick tyre on a damp surface, which is why you don't corner as quick in the wet.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So what's with the wet trails after you've rode through a puddle?

I don't recall ever a tyres contact patch being dry after riding on wet roads.
The water is adequately displaced.

Now how about you admit that this is BS?
Tread on a tyre is there for the same reason that you get tread on a car tyre to displace water. .
Because...

The tread on a bike tyre is not there for the same reasons as the tread on a car tyre.
The tread on a bike tyre is not there to displace water.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Moving enough water to leave the surface damp is what generally happens. This is the point where a treaded tyre hasn't got enough surfacewater to shift and so becomes redundant. Due to various reasons discussed up thread, this point where a treaded tyre would start to work better than a slick is never reached on a bicycle. There is, however, a consequent diminishing of grip due to a slick tyre on a damp surface, which is why you don't corner as quick in the wet.
Grip is diminished when cornering due to change in shape and size of contact area and differing forces acting from different directions from when the bike is going straight ahead, as well, surely?

Alan O

Über Member
Moving enough water to leave the surface damp is what generally happens. This is the point where a treaded tyre hasn't got enough surfacewater to shift and so becomes redundant. Due to various reasons discussed up thread, this point where a treaded tyre would start to work better than a sllick is never reached on a bicycle. There is, however, a consequent diminishing of grip due to a slick tyre on a damp surface, which is why you don't corner as quick in the wet.
Yes indeed, there's always a microscopic thin layer of water left, and it's the irregularities in the road surface at that scale that penetrate it and 'key' with the deforming rubber of the tyre. And, of course, the microscopic layer of water is there under a treaded tyre just as much as a slick - but there's less rubber to key with the road surface.

Vegan1

The water is adequately displaced.

Now how about you admit that this is BS?

Because...

The tread on a bike tyre is not there for the same reasons as the tread on a car tyre.
The tread on a bike tyre is not there to displace water.

But in order for there to be a trail after riding through a puddle then there has to be water on the contact point of the tyre?

According to some this would mean no grip?

So how can a tyre leave a trail of water on the road but still have grip if there is water between the tyre and the road which would be the trail of water left on the road?

Vegan1

Good to see at least someone other than me has a good understanding of tyres in wet conditions. Unlike the other two.:okay:

Alan O

Über Member
But in order for there to be a trail after riding through a puddle then there has to be water on the contact point of the tyre?

According to some this would mean no grip?

So how can a tyre leave a trail of water on the road but still have grip if there is water between the tyre and the road which would be the trail of water left on the road?
Because it's only necessary to displace sufficient water for the tyre rubber to key with the road surface.

Top Bottom