Tyres on the wrong way for over two years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vegan1

Do you, or anyone else, have any evidence that tread is necessary on road bike tyres?

I don't have any evidence, could not tell you about anyone else. My point is that a treaded tyre displaces water.

Tread on a car tyre is there to move water away from the contact patch, thus making aquaplaning less likely (not impossible).
You mentioned on your first or second post that tread is there, like on a car tyre, to displace water.

Tread on a tyre is there for the same reason that you get tread on a car tyre to displace water. It's correct to have the tyre arrow pointing towards the direction of travel.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've only ever made the point of a treaded tyre displacing water, nothing about aquaplaning.
Aquaplaning = failure to displace water.

If a tyre isn't aquaplaning, it has displaced the water. Aquaplaning happens when the water hasn't been displaced.

The footprint of a road tyre is smaller than any part of a car tyre between the sipes. So even at car speeds it's unlikely to aquaplane.

Tread on a bike tyre becomes useful off-tarmac.

Vegan1

Aquaplaning = failure to displace water.

If a tyre isn't aquaplaning, it has displaced the water. Aquaplaning happens when the water hasn't been displaced.

The footprint of a road tyre is smaller than any part of a car tyre between the sipes. So even at car speeds it's unlikely to aquaplane.

Tread on a bike tyre becomes useful off-tarmac.

Thank you for the above, good to hear that the treaded tyres I have are doing thier job.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Where is all this stuff about aquaplaning coming from?

You only care about displacing water to prevent aquaplaning.

[QUOTE 4837234, member: 45"]Then you need to consider the next step:

Why would you want to displace water? What would this prevent? (if necessary)[/QUOTE]

The point of tread is to spray mud up the back of your jacket in a pattern that makes you look like a really hardened of roader

1618946073_3ec44de937.jpg

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
No, I'd still say that a treaded tyre displaces water.
It does and it will displace more water than a slick.
It does this to increase the speed at which aquaplaning occurs.
There is no other reason for having tread on a tyre used on tarmac.
However, since it has been explained several times that bikes don't aquaplane, due to several factors, the use of tread is purely cosmetic.

Top Bottom