Tyres on the wrong way for over two years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
OK, you both lose a mark for not properly defining your terms, but what I'm more interested in is the chemical reaction between rubber and tarmac. How does that work then?
That's the thing that makes the tyre work. It's a base principle, without it, the tyre can't work. I could go hunting for the relavant abstracts, but I can't be arsed.
That's stretching the definition of 'chemical reaction' more than just a little. There are plenty of definitions out there, but this one is reasonable ....

"a process that involves rearrangement of the molecular or ionic structure of a substance"

The tyre rubber does not become something else. The tarmac does not become something else. The grip is provided by the physical interface between tyre and tarmac (with maybe some water in the way if it's wet). For cycling at least, the heat generated by the action of friction on tyre and tarmac won't be enough to change the chemical composition of either. Even if bits of the tyre wear away, that's no more a chemical reaction than me hitting a banana with a hammer is a chemical reaction.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
That's the thing that makes the tyre work. It's a base principle, without it, the tyre can't work. I could go hunting for the relavant abstracts, but I can't be arsed.
As @Bollo says, there is no chemical reaction between the tyre and the road surface.
The tyre compound changes its grip characteristics due to it heating up through friction and distortion.

S-Express

Don't forget, racing roadkill probably has a PhD in this stuff and has forgotten more about it than any of us will ever hope to know...

That's stretching the definition of 'chemical reaction' more than just a little. There are plenty of definitions out there, but this one is reasonable ....

"a process that involves rearrangement of the molecular or ionic structure of a substance"

The tyre rubber does not become something else. The tarmac does not become something else. The grip is provided by the physical interface between tyre and tarmac (with maybe some water in the way if it's wet). For cycling at least, the heat generated by the action of friction on tyre and tarmac won't be enough to change the chemical composition of either. Even if bits of the tyre wear away, that's no more a chemical reaction than me hitting a banana with a hammer is a chemical reaction.
Do some reading on 'surface chemistry' come back in about 3 to 4 years, see if your opinion has changed. And see just how wrong what you just posted actually is.

As @Bollo says, there is no chemical reaction between the tyre and the road surface.
The tyre compound changes its grip characteristics due to it heating up through friction and distortion.
You have no idea how wrong you are. Have a scout about on 'surface chemistry' and the interactions between rubber tyre compounds and tarmac. I'll see you in a few years, or not.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
You have no idea how wrong you are. Have a scout about on 'surface chemistry' and the interactions between rubber tyre compounds and tarmac. I'll see you in a few years, or not.
I'm sorry, I really don't have the time or inclination.
As you are no doubt an expert in this field, maybe you could explain it for those of us who don't have this knowledge.

OK, you both lose a mark for not properly defining your terms, but what I'm more interested in is the chemical reaction between rubber and tarmac. How does that work then?
There is no chemical reaction. What causes friction is a phenomena in physical chemistry. It is a polar attraction between the molecules of the two substances and NOT a chemical REACTION. I think I have already explained - Van der Waal's force.

Last edited:
Top Bottom