Dirty hands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
For the last couple of summers I've ended up with black staining on my right hand - and much less so on the left - after longer rides and especially in hot weather. I put it down to the decaying rubber on the hood covers of my old set of STI shifters, but I have just replaced the shifters and handlebar tape, and on a ride last Monday in the warm weather I noticed I was still getting it - so it was obviously not linked to the old kit on my handlebars.

Does anyone else get this? It must be something to do with the way I'm gripping the shifter unit, but do I just have uniquely sweaty and sticky hands?
20130506 (27compressed) dirty bike hand.jpg

Cyclopathic

Veteran
No idea but I see a long life, a dark haired woman and a sea voyage in your future.:smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'd guess it's ink leaching out of the bar tape when you sweat on it. I'd suggest either wearing gloves or maybe trying some leather effect tape (or just carrying wet-wipes) :smile:

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
No idea but I see a long life, a dark haired woman and a sea voyage in your future.:smile:

Sounds worth it for the sake of a bit of black on the hands.

Yeah, any more advice you can give would be great

Well, since you ask...

I fear it might also signify your membership or support of an early-20th-century organisation formed to bring about the unification of all majority-Serb territories under a single flag.

However, as that organisation was both secret and ceased to exist almost a century ago, I may be wrong.

Is it just that your bicycle is grubby?

I never clean my bar tape, so when I have to replace a chain I have dirty hands after the next few rides.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Re the problem, could it be oil?
Perhaps an excess leeching from brake or gear levers?

It's a real mystery. These are new STIs, new bar tape - I've not added any oil, yet I'm getting the same staining as I got with the old kit, so the only thing in common is me. You'd think that if it was dye, oil, etc then other people would have reported the same thing.

It was embarassing one of the first times out with my club - it was a hot day and I'd wiped my sweaty forehead, no-one told me till the end of the café break that I had black all down one side of my face.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
For the sake of the skin on your hands I would suggest the wearing of gloves.

Dress for the accident not the trip.

Yeah OK, but that wasn't really the point of the post. Plenty of people ride bare-handed but most don't get black staining from their tape / shifters or whatever. Actually I get it on my fingertips even in fingerless gloves (and no, the answer isn't to wear full gloves all year round!)

Top Bottom