Disabling tracker pad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ste T.

Guru
Hi all
Does any body here know how to temporarily disable the tracker pad on a laptop running XP. At the moment if my wrist brushes the pad as I am typing, and I don't notice , by the time I look up again the text is all over the place.
Many thanks for any help.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This would probably be better in Electric Cafe as my suggestion would involve a stanley knife:wacko:

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Control Panel would be a start - what make an model of laptop do you have?

My HP pavilion has a discreet on/off button at the top of the track pad to disable it, if using an external mouse

Our laptop has a small button at the top of the pad that allows you to disable it. Useful for when you need to clean the muck off it after the kids have been eating sweets and playing on club penguin.

OP
OP
Ste T.

Ste T.

Guru
Its a 5yr old Aldi special, Gericom. It's never let me down yet ,but it is starting to look its age.
I,m off to the control panel.I'll get back.

OP
OP
Ste T.

Ste T.

Guru
Nope, nothing on the keyboard, nothing in control panel that I can see.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm off to the Electric Cafe
Cheerio

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Look in your hardware profile in control panel - the tracker pad will probably be registered as a generic serial mouse, or something like that. If you stick in a USB mouse, you'll see that too as a generic usb mouse. You should be able to disable interrupts on the generic serial mouse, but probably only with a usb mouse installed (it probably won't let you disable the tracker pad if there's no other pointing device detected). If you can't disable interrupts, you can fudge it by shifting the interrupt range above 0x7FFFFFFF (i.e. make it a 2's complement negative number) - that should set the effective interrupt to null.

Stick a post it note on it!

Top Bottom