Disappointed with LBS! Praising... Evans?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
My LBS is a fairly big outfit, they have two branches, one in Glasgow and one about 30 minutes outside. Anyone from Glasgow probably knows who I'm talking about :whistle:

They have been very attentive when fitting me up for my bikes and have got great bikes that fit well from them.

We also now have two branches of Evans. So in an effort to support the 'little guy' I have spent a lot of money in this particular LBS, most recently buying a third bike from them (my cyclocross) and various parts and bits over the years.

So my cyclocross had done it's 100 miles and was due to go back in for it's first free service. They were advertising a winter service with new cables for £40, so I thought I'd put my road bike in given that the gearing was needing adjusted and I am mechanically challenged.

The cyclocross came out with the brakes SQUEALING and had to go straight back. When I picked up the roadie I asked the bloke if they had sorted the gearing and he just kind of shrugged and said, yeah probably. The bike looked, to be honest, untouched.

The gearing continued to worsen and I had to do something about it. Having had a couple of really positive experiences recently buying shoes and pedals at Evans (I had it in my head on the 2nd Jan I was going clipless and they were open) I reluctantly booked in for a Silver Service. When I called to find out what time to pick up my bike I was put through to the very friendly mechanic who gave me a full run down of everything.

Imagine my surprise when I pick up the bike and find the following:-
1) They had to replace one of the cables just replaced by LBS 2 months prior (included in cost so no financial reason for them to do this)
2) They had all sorts of time and parting advice about how to adjust the brakes etc if I didn't like their setup
3) The gearing is working beautifully with no need for parts or anything, shifting is crisp and smooth, and it no longer ghost shifts, skips etc.
4) They had stripped the chainset off and cleaned everything, it was absolutely immaculate.

I cannot praise them enough. I don't even know why I'm writing this thread, I just think Evans get a hard time on here and I avoided them because of that but their service was pretty amazing service ;) Btw it was Evans Braehead!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why have you kept the name of the Glasgow LBS a secret? If you are going to out someone, you may as well go the whole way.

I would have been really pixxed with them.

Steve

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
Why have you kept the name of the Glasgow LBS a secret? If you are going to out someone, you may as well go the whole way.

I would have been really pixxed with them.

Steve

Fair enough, I didn't know if it would be in bad taste, but I guess it might make others think twice about paying through the nose for a crappy service. Dales Cycles.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One of the best cycle stores I have had the pleasure to visit is Evans in Crawley. Whilst on a ride I had a major mechanical failure and they sorted it all out within an hour.

As with all chains stores and LBS's there's good and bad in all.

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
One of the best cycle stores I have had the pleasure to visit is Evans in Crawley. Whilst on a ride I had a major mechanical failure and they sorted it all out within an hour.

At least you have another positive story about them. When I booked it in for the service at Evans (based on my experience buying shoes, really!) I googled to see what I was in for and everyone was condemning them, could hardly find a decent report but went for it anyway. I can only think people don't like the idea of a big, 'impersonal' chain. I get that there will be good and bad stores both with chains like Evans and LBS but the bad press about Evans does seem disproportionate.

Will certainly be using from now on!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
At least you have another positive story about them. When I booked it in for the service at Evans (based on my experience buying shoes, really!) I googled to see what I was in for and everyone was condemning them, could hardly find a decent report but went for it anyway. I can only think people don't like the idea of a big, 'impersonal' chain. I get that there will be good and bad stores both with chains like Evans and LBS but the bad press about Evans does seem disproportionate.

Will certainly be using from now on!

What I did was write to Evan's head office say how good the service was and can they pass on my thanks to the store's manager. I got a very appreciative reply. I think doing things like this help's companies help themselves to become better at customer relations, focus and satisfaction.

zizou

Veteran
I use Evans regularly, mostly thanks to their price matching policy :biggrin: Their shop in the city centre has a very good head mechanic - on a par with the best LBS in the Glasgow area but with a far quicker turn around.

Although to be fair ive found Dales to be pretty good in the past too as ive never had any problems with work theyve done and they also sorted out a warranty issue for me with no hassle. If I was unhappy with the service there or elsewhere i'd have been straight back in asking to get it sorted seeing as i'd already paid!

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
I did consider going back to ask them to sort it out but a couple of months had passed as I wasn't really using my road bike due to ill health. It was on the turbo so I knew nothing had changed though. I really should have taken it back. When I took it out early january for a ride I got 50 yards and had to turn back, it was unsafe tbh.

I think I will write a letter of praise, why should we only write when it's to complain? The world would be a happier place if people made the effort to report good things too!

jarlrmai

Veteran
With bike shops it's not about the name on the door, it's about the individual mechanic you get

MichaelO

Veteran

The Gatwick one? I wrote to them last summer to give praise for the serivce I received - seemed to totally go out of their way for me.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Makes me wonder how so many retailers just don't get that customer service creates loyalty... is it really rocket science?
My LBS orders me bikes and kit upon request with no deposit and fight for my custom every day.. Thats why I am loyal to them.

BikeLiker

[quote="lesley_x, post: 2875185, member: 11393" I can only think people don't like the idea of a big, 'impersonal' chain. I get that there will be good and bad stores both with chains like Evans and LBS but the bad press about Evans does seem disproportionate.

Will certainly be using from now on![/quote]

I think your right and I admit to being swayed by this in the past . After several poor LBS experiences and the opposite in Evans they'll be my first port of call from now on.

Top Bottom