Disappointed !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Woody0301

Regular
Bought a new Trek 7.5 FX back in March. Had some minor problems that adjusted out and some that have not. Put 800 miles on the bike in nine weeks and both tires now have blisters on them. Nice weather and my riding is 0 right now because the bike store is in another town. The bike store will honor the warranty on the (Bontrager) tires I think but is this what to expect? Constant adjusting and tires wearing out every two months. Rode an old Specialized mountain bike 2500 miles and only put a tube in a tire the year before deciding to invest in a really nice bike that seems to be high maintenance at best. Beginning to wonder if I should have gone to Walmart. Should I consider getting rid of this bike and move to another brand or am I just expecting too much out of the product? I would think not for what it cost.

raindog

er.....
The 'bike' has nothing to do with the tyres blistering. Tyres fitted to a stock bike are often pretty poor, but the shop is going to replace them so that's great. When the second pair are knackered replace with decent ones of your choice. I usually get around 4000 kilometers out of 700x23 tyres.

Instead of letting the shop just replace the tyres with the same why not see if they will do a deal. Tell them your concerns, explain how this has really knocked your confidence in the bike, (may seem OTT but your are the customer after all). Ask them to allow you the value of the replacement Bonty tyres against a pair of 'better' ones. Any shop worth their salt should work out a compromise to make sure your happy with the bike they sold you IMO.

That way your tyre woes will be sorted, you'll have peace of mind and the miles will start to roll in :thumbsup:

OP
OP
W

Woody0301

Regular
Instead of letting the shop just replace the tyres with the same why not see if they will do a deal. Tell them your concerns, explain how this has really knocked your confidence in the bike, (may seem OTT but your are the customer after all). Ask them to allow you the value of the replacement Bonty tyres against a pair of 'better' ones. Any shop worth their salt should work out a compromise to make sure your happy with the bike they sold you IMO.

That way your tyre woes will be sorted, you'll have peace of mind and the miles will start to roll in :thumbsup:
I thought about that. May see what they will work out. Not sure how the warranty situation will work though.

OP
OP
W

Woody0301

Regular
The 'bike' has nothing to do with the tyres blistering. Tyres fitted to a stock bike are often pretty poor, but the shop is going to replace them so that's great. When the second pair are knackered replace with decent ones of your choice. I usually get around 4000 kilometers out of 700x23 tyres.
I agree. It is a nice bike overall. Just frustrated.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Have you been rigorous in maintaining tyre pressures?

Even if you hadn't been, 800 miles out of a front tyre is exceptionally rubbish.

OP
OP
W

Woody0301

Regular
Have you been rigorous in maintaining tyre pressures?

Even if you hadn't been, 800 miles out of a front tyre is exceptionally rubbish.
Have maintained everything about the bike by the book. The bike still looks brand new. I have really enjoyed it but it has a slight noise in the crank that can also be felt at times in a certain gear. The bke store says they don'l feel it but I can tell when I hit that gear with my eyes closed. I gave up on that and have learned to live with it thinking it may just be me but when the tires started coming apart, it really set me off. I have not been able to ride for five days now.

upgrading the tyres is certainly a good idea , you say you are " constantly adjusting" but you dont say what ,if its gears and brakes you will have to allow for cable stretch if its a new bike .
bear with it and keep riding it IS worth it in the end^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd bin the tyres and buy decent ones, and see what deal came up with the shop when you have time - i.e. see if you can get a credit note, or X amount off a new set (yes you'd have spare tyres then). Can't be losing days off the bike.

OP
OP
W

Woody0301

Regular
Well, the bike shop replaced the tires with the same tire but new. Will see how these work out.Contacted Trek through e-mail a few days ago just to voice my concerns. Did not really expect a reply but got a phone call today from a rep. offering assistance. Have to give them credit for that.

I'd start saving now. Even if the new tyres don't do what the others did *crosses fingers* they will still be cheap tyres offering little in the way of puncture protection and you'll soon tire, (no pun intended) of fixing flats.

If you haven't ridden it yet I'd still push for a deal on better tyres and pay the difference, even tell the LBS you'll fit them yourself to save them any hassle. If they won't budge I'd save my pennies and find another bike shop next time around. You don't have to be loyal to them because you bought it from them. Any Trek dealer will take care of any future warranty issues that might occur.

As for maintenance, you can't beat getting hands on and fettling things yourself, (nothing's that hard on a bike). As well as the self satisfaction it'll save you £££'s :thumbsup:

OP
OP
W

Woody0301

Regular
Not so fast with the new tires, 61 miles and front tire has blisters on it. As far as quality, I talked with a Trek rep. who said these are good tires. He was cooperative so I went with what he suggested we try which was another set of stock tires. Tomorrow I plan on making my own suggestions. I am sure they will ask what terrain I am riding on. Riding a loop that is smooth blacktop roads and a short part of fine paved gravel. Nothing the tires should not handle.

raindog

er.....
This is ridiculous, it must be a duff batch of tyres. Just tell them you want a decent set of tyres on the bike - if it's under warranty, they're obliged to get it sorted.
Good luck, and keep us posted.

Top Bottom