Disappointing Ride Today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Got totally lost and had to cut the ride short to work our way back to base.

Annoying thing is, we did this ride only last year.

At least there was lots of mud.

02GF74

Über Member
Shaun said:
At least there was lots of mud.

but that's a good thing, innit?:sad:

Globalti

Legendary Member
os-map.jpg

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Funnily enough that was the map I was using when we got lost (again) earlier in the week walking. Not having much luck with maps recently (too accustomed to GPS I think) and losing all credibility. :tongue:

Debian

It's never a good idea, IMHO, to come to rely on anything electronic. I do carry a GPS but try to only use it when I get really stuck. I try to use map and compass normally to keep my eye in.

I find that if I rely on a map then I'm much more aware of my surroundings because I'm always looking for landmarks to navigate by.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Crapnav is a disaster - I used it once and was so shocked at my resulting complete ignorance of my whereabouts that I have never touched one since.

I agree that for a truck or delivery driver or taxi in an unfamiliar area it has its uses but leisure users are much better off with a map, which gives you much more information. Using a crapnav is the equivalent of using a map but viewing it through a long thin cardboard tube.

I was driving to meet two colleagues at a restaurant recently when I spotted a go-slow on the motorway so I dived off and joined the old parallel A road. Called my colleague who was following a few minutes behind and told him to do the same. So what did the feckin' eejit do? He left the motorway and when the A road reached the next junction he blindly followed the crapnav's instruction to join the motorway..... straight into a monster go-slow!

Debian

The only time I use the satnav I carry with me is when I decide that I'm totally and irrevocably lost! :laugh:

The last time it happened, when I finally chickened out and fired up the satnav I found that I'd spent over an hour, struggling uphill across muddy fields to end up within about 50 yards of where I started from!! I don't often get lost but when I do it's usually a howler :smile:

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Tim Bennet. said:
Exactly what is the element of chance with maps?
the map reader :smile:

Top Bottom