Disc Brake Aligning Tool.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I keep getting spammed on FB etc. with ads for a brake aligning tool which I never knew I needed?

When I fit a caliper, I put a bit of cereal packet on the disc, pull on the brakes and then tighten the mounts.

Apparently though, I should have been using this?

1620589219754.png

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
They're a handy gadget :tongue:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Blimey! Thats a blast from the past, setting the points with a Rizla fag paper.
Only works with new points though or ones that have been 'filed' flat, once they're a bit pitted they tend to grip the paper for a while after they've opened.

Ajax Bay

Guru
In an urge to add facts to this 'people keep spamming me with a tool' thread:
Cereal packet cardboard = 15 thou (YCPMV)
Business card = 12 thou (average of 4)
A4 sheet of paper (80g/sm) = 5 thou
Shop receipt (Coop) = 2 thou (assume about the same as a Rizla paper, but I went into the bike sheds, not round the back, so haven't got access to a packet)

I haven't been able to find a specified clearance (likely it varies between models) - anyone know?
Satisfactory clearance will also depend on trueness of the disc.
I found advice that a 0.2mm feeler gauge was 'about right'. That's 8 thou.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Excuse me for being a bit dim here, but I thought disc brakes were self aligning?

When I pop new pads in I just need to gently ease the pistons back, then pop in the new pads. Pumping the lever a few times, then bedding in the pads sorts everything out and all's well with the world.

Obviously the above procedure is for hydraulic discs, so what's with this gizmo, is it a vital step I'm missing out on? Or is it for cable pulled discs?

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I haven't been able to find a specified clearance (likely it varies between models) - anyone know?
Satisfactory clearance will also depend on trueness of the disc.
I found advice that a 0.2mm feeler gauge was 'about right'. That's 8 thou.

I don't use card to set a clearance.

I simply adjust inwards until there is contact and then I back out a smidge until they run freely.

To align the brakes, I pop in a bit of card either side of the disc and apply the brake with the caliper mounting bolts a bit loose and then tighten them.

I find disc brakes to be one of the easier things to maintain on a bike.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Excuse me for being a bit dim here, but I thought disc brakes were self aligning?
Obviously the above procedure is for hydraulic discs, so what's with this gizmo, is it a vital step I'm missing out on? Or is it for cable pulled discs?
I think the tool is to set the disc centrally in the caliper.

T4tomo

Guru

When I pop new pads in I just need to gently ease the pistons back, then pop in the new pads. Pumping the lever a few times, then bedding in the pads sorts everything out and all's well with the world.

some of the one sided adjustment cable disc brakes needed a business card to set them up, i used to do on some Avid BB7s back in the day.

agree nothing needed for hydros.

the gizmo is not needed for anything at all ever, yet is heavily marketed on facebook.

Top Bottom