Disc Brake Road Bike, What's Feasible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If they do it in orange, then i might just have to get that. Orangeness
cool.gif

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
that does look good and the integrated shifter for the hub gear is a big benefit.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What about the 2011 Genesis Day one?

Genesis%20Day%20One%20Alfine%20-%20Full%20Bike.preview_500.jpg

Source: http://road.cc/conte...1-bikes-icebike

that's EXACTLY the bike I wanted 2 years ago and no one made one. I love the line that the Tektro discs are as good as Shimano discs though. So that's not very good at all then. Great benchmark. Not.

All it needs is a carbon disc fork suitable for use by a clumsy clydesdale like me, BB7's, a Brooks saddle, a Tubus Fly rack and some mudguards and it would be perfecto. Oh yeah; and pedals, and a black stem and to match the bars.

Jezston

Über Member
Oh God ... tissues please!

Shame about the colour, though. A more 'classic' look and I'd have been all over it.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Question I'd have re the On-One and the Genesis is the caliper position when adjusting chain tension, I assume the caliper would need to be adjusted as well? Quite a few frames use sliding dropouts now where the disc brake caliper fits on to the dropout, hence the relationship of caliper to axle remains constant as the wheel is moved for chain tension.

If they want it truly versatile then throw in gear cable braze ons, mech hanger and sliding dropouts. Then you have a frame that can run hub gear, SS, fixed or gears.

I don't know how secure, long term, sliding dropouts are but there does seem to be quite a few out there now.

P.H

Über Member
If we're onto Hub geared drop bar bikes, the Civa Bryant gets my vote;

http://civiacycles.com/bikes/bryant/

Though I can't imagine why anyone would buy an 8 speed Alfine when the improved 11 speed is almost available. 

Unless of course they're trying to squeeze it under the C2W limit.

Another frame builder worth looking at for inspiration is Velotraum (Dream bike in English)

http://velotraum.de/

P.H

Über Member
I don't know how secure, long term, sliding dropouts are but there does seem to be quite a few out there now.

Secure in what way?

There's four bolts holding one axle, I don't understand the doubt.  Unless you meant something else.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

PH - I'd read some negative posts about sliding dropouts becoming loose over time, though there seems to be a lot of praise for the ones made by Paragon. I'm pro the idea, nothing but vertical dropouts for frames. You could even switch out dropouts, so no mech hanger when running fixed/SS/Hub gears.

I do like the Civia, you'll even find some comments/questions from me under the Ecovelo review of it. The only thing I'm not sure of is the caliper fitting on the dropouts. I understand why they've done it re rack and guard mounts. But it's not quite as straight forward as if the caliper mounted to the drops themselves. This is more track ends with a sliding caliper mount thatn sliding dropouts. These are what I mean by sliding dropouts:-

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VY9lef3Ri...Y/jJTO_dyBttI/s400/ParagonSlidingDropouts.jpg

I think the £1k limit has become a bit of a thing, there's a few models where specs are falling to hit that point. Though you can already buy the Alfine 11 I haven't seen anything on integrated shifting for it. As far as I know the only integrated road shifter, for hub gears, is the one for the Alfine 8.

Thanks for the link to Velotraum, hadn't seen them before, will have a peruse.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Just perusing the Boardman range and some of the hybrids are pretty close:-

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_proltd.html

The Pro Ltd and Pro both have carbon disc forks, all are flatbars though and the geometry is flat bar orientated, ie longer effective TT's. But, barring that, it's getting closer:-

clearance for tyres up to about 700x37, can take rack and guards, most are hydraulic discs due to flatbars but could take mechanical discs to work with road levers.

Gearing seems a bit odd for a hybrid/city bike though, 50/36 and 11-32 cassette. I suppose they're trying to cover the range of a triple but 50x11 is a pretty big top gear for this sort of riding, 123 inches. As they use SRAM stuff maybe they should have gone with the SRAM 30/45 compact and still the 11-32 cassette. That gives pretty good gearing for general use.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The important thing to remember, as discovered recently, if you are buying Avid BB5 or BB7 disc brakes to use with STi make sure you buy the Road version, the MTB version don't work with STi's! Anyone want to buy a pair of Avid BB7 disc brakes, new and unused.... ;)

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

The important thing to remember, as discovered recently, if you are buying Avid BB5 or BB7 disc brakes to use with STi make sure you buy the Road version, the MTB version don't work with STi's! Anyone want to buy a pair of Avid BB7 disc brakes, new and unused.... ;)

Loving the write up, good to see that it's not just me that blesses the cyling community with cheap/free parts due to my cock ups.

anyuser

Über Member
Interesting that bike manufacturers seem to be sourcing 130mm OLD rear disk hubs now. I wonder who is making them?

Top Bottom