Disc brake rotor bolts - torque

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

I'm just about to change the wheels on my triban rc520 and wondered if anyone knows the torque settings for the rotor bolts?

Jody

Stubborn git
Not much from memory. Think they are around 6nm.

Shimano states 2-4Nm for a 6 bolt rotor HERE, but you don't state what make yours are, the manufacturer will have the info if it's not Shimano.

Also maybe check the recommendation of re-fitting old bolts, (if you are of course), I don't know but it just crossed my mind.

FWIW I changed a rotor a few weeks ago, never thought about torque TBH, tightened it up and it's not fell off, happy days :okay:

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Didn't think to check the manufacturer, but it's TRP - thanks for prompting that check. It seems recommended torque is 6 - 8 Nm.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
The last time I tightened up the bolts the recommended torque was marked by etching on the rotor.

Tom B

Guru
Also maybe check the recommendation of re-fitting old bolts, (if you are of course), I don't know but it just crossed my mind.

6-8Nm for mine and a blob of thread lock. Never had them come loose.

They say don't not reuse them, but I always have and just replace them when the heads start to go a bit mushy.

DRM

Guru
Didn't know that was a thing but it does make sense although I'm not sure it would work on my rotors as the bolts are paired with a washer that dictates the actual final position.
The washers shouldn’t prevent being able to set the disc as described, unless they are dished and centre themselves in to the holes on the disc rotor.

DRM

Guru
Never thought of that TBH. I've only changed one rotor and I fitted a new one so it came with new bolts, but if I ever need to do a wheel change I'll bear thread lock in mind, good shout :okay:
it's worth doing, but they really should come with thread lock already applied to the threads.

Top Bottom