Disc Brakes on touring bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Greg
When I asked what pads,I should've asked what compound?
I'm no expert on different pads as I only ever use Organic but I believe Sintered are harder than Organic so would/should(?) last longer.
Of course that only counts if you're using Organics
when I said the tandem was on its third set of pads,now I've checked the rear rear is on the third set (October last year) the front is still on its second.
I'm finding the pads from Superstar Components good kit and @ £18 for three sets good value too.
Organic. Superstar are good value aren't they.
Downside of sintered if your big/heavy is rotor wear.
I fancy a pair of Ashima SOS Dual compound for the mtb.
getsizelargest

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It doesn't seem so long since the general word seemed to be that "the laws of science prove that disc brakes on dropped bar bikes mean they are impossible and in any case discs on tourers will cause the forks to snap off if you try and brake even at 1mph"
There are problems, and the frame and fork need to be capable of withstanding the forces.

Admittedly, the bike was a tandem, but I've seen reports of a fork bent by the braking force of discs (the disc tabs were brazed onto a fork originally designed for rim brakes, apparently).

john wood

I'm wondering if many people here have come across the Andra CSS (Carbide Super Sonic) rims? I have them on my tourer (Thorn Nomad), used with Swisstop Blue brake pad, Shimano XTR M970 V-brakes.
When I was in the market for my tourer (as some may recall), I was really heart-set on disc brakes. Eventually I decided the Nomad was the bike for me, though there was no disc brake option (or at least it was rear wheel only [can't recall] - I think this might have changed now). So I looked at their alternative - let's keep in mind that they designed this bike for hardcore expedition touring, so one would expect a pretty good substitute. I looked these Andras up, read what people thought of them in forums and such - they seemed very highly regarded. Multiple people claiming they've done up to 20000 miles on their original rims and pads.

My own personal verdict of them - they are absolutely brilliant. I have done about 4500/5000 miles since getting my bike in July (about 1500 of which was a very heavy loaded tour) and neither the rim nor the brake pads are showing any signs of wear. My wheels are also still perfectly true. (I've also not yet had a puncture, but that's for a different discussion!)

Of course, if one prefers disc brakes - that is a completely different matter. I would probably have gotten them, had I opted for a different bike. Though I think what my point is is that there *is* an alternative, and if it comes well built, it can (in many ways) be much more advantageous that discs, surprisingly so.

Whoever built my wheels is a very skilled craftsman - I can say that much.

Food for thought!
Thats a very good endorsment of ceramic type rims,I have a friend who's run Mavic ceramic rims for the best part of 10 years on his touring bike without any signs of wear.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There are problems, and the frame and fork need to be capable of withstanding the forces.

Admittedly, the bike was a tandem, but I've seen reports of a fork bent by the braking force of discs (the disc tabs were brazed onto a fork originally designed for rim brakes, apparently).
dumb dumb dumb move on older designs, decent framebuilders refuse to do it ime.

gilespargiter

Veteran
I have been considering disc brakes on a tourer. For what it is worth, it seems to me that a couple of points emerge in this thread, leaving aside those that dogmatically prefer one or the other.
One point is the quality of components; It seems that neither the qualities of pads, discs, brake blocks or rims are revealed quantitatively by manufacturers or known by users.
The other is that in fact the real weight issue probably comes from needing different fork and stay characteristics rather than the brakes themselves (although them as well).
It appears that many cycle parts manufacturers seem to spend large amounts of money on starting fashions and advertising, but very little on the actual components they wish us to buy. Never mind finding out what actually improves or extends the cycling experience.
Bearing in mind that especially perhaps in this context, motorcycles, have brakes which last far longer, stopping from far faster a much heavier machine, with brakes that relative to the machine and speed probably weigh far less, over a similar range of conditions.
It would seem to me if anyone is interested enough that it might be worth approaching a large brake friction material manufacturer such as; Ferrodo, or Mintex (Anyone here a technician in this industry?) to find out quantified information and any particular difficulties that may be peculiar to bicycles, in order to obtain the best materials.
In my view except possibly in the most extreme of off road conditions, if your brakes don't perform for several thousands of miles, they are not fit for purpose. You can't really over heat rim brake blocks because the tyres will pop first (the only reason I was considering discs).

Wheel rims do not 'suddenly' wear out over one weekend - this is maintenance and servicing in the hands of the user.
If one has hydraulic oil leak problems, cheap vegetable cooking oil can be used without further damaging seals in an emergency. Brake fluid is vegetable oil with (highly toxic) additives to dissolve air and emulsify water (to stop it boiling).
Anywhere their is a motor vehicle there is brake fluid; even in India.

Bearing all this in mind and using the edict of simplest and universally repairable and understandable is best for touring; for the time being discs are out for me. I hope everyone else keeps using them because then they will get better! :bicycle:

Top Bottom