Disc Brakes on touring bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just to add my own experience to the debate, I've returned last week from a short 600 mile road tour around Ireland on my Boardman Cyclo Cross which has the avid BB5 disc brakes. (I know - not a proper touring bike but it handled the trip superbly)

Admittedly this was only a 10 day tour but I was carrying over 17kgs of camping kit and clothing etc, so still a valid test.

I'll be honest and say that I find the disc brake stopping power exceptional in comparison to the calipers on my road bike which is important when carrying heavy weight - especially when you need the reassurance of being able to stop yourself down steep descents etc of which there are plenty in Ireland.

The additional bar levers came in very handy also, alongside the shifter/brakes on the drops when cycling in traffic.

I used the Tubus Vega rack with the Ortlieb Trunk adapter on top and had absolutely no problems with clearance. Admittedly this is a lightweight rack but could still have comfortably carried more. I think the max load is 25kgs?? To be honest, I would probably reach my own capacity for how much weight I can lug up a hill before the bike or rack failed...
Hi,

I am getting a boardman cyclocross soon. What size mudguards did you fit? This is my first road type bike and I don`t know whether to get the SKS P35 or P45 mudguards For touring which tyres did you use?
Thanks for any advice.

jjb

Über Member
I always end up carrying my bike at some point on tour, on and off a train, up stairs etc, so it's (lighter) rim brakes for me.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I always end up carrying my bike at some point on tour, on and off a train, up stairs etc, so it's (lighter) rim brakes for me.

what???? sorry but that's a little nonsensical, taken as a %age of the total weight you'd be carrying I seriously doubt the use of rim or disc brakes would be noticeable. We're probably talking a 5% variance tops here.

rollinstok

I,m very impressed with the performance of disc brakes on my sons rather tasty Whyte mountain bike. I,m equally satisfied with decent v-brakes which did the job great over many 1000,s of miles in the past for me and my new bike has them too. I find it a bit odd though that many cyclists will spend a small fortune to save some weight off their bike and accessories and yet desire disc brakes as a replacement ?

jjb

Über Member
what???? sorry but that's a little nonsensical, taken as a %age of the total weight you'd be carrying I seriously doubt the use of rim or disc brakes would be noticeable. We're probably talking a 5% variance tops here.
That's true, apart from the bit about it being nonsensical.

MacB

That's true, apart from the bit about it being nonsensical.

Fair enough, my apologies, it's nonsensical to me, I can't imagine that amount making any difference to my ability to lift/carry. Unless of course the weight with rim brakes was at my absolute tolerances. I know there's a cumulative effect with repetition but even then I would take a lot of convincing. Not that I'm about to do back to back tours, identical bar disc/rim brakes, for comparison purposes. I mean we are talking a total weight difference of about 2lbs max here.

But you're quite right it's what works for you.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Reasons not to use rim brakes on a touring bike. A radio play.

"Au Revoir, Mr Greg"
"Au Revoir, mes amis"

Pedal. Pedal. Pedal. Slurp. Pedal. Slurp. Pedal. Pant. Pedal. Pant. Pedal. (continues for some hours)

"Thank God! I'm at the top, that's Spain over there."

Whirr, click. Whirr, click. "That's the photo's done, now for the afternoon of free-wheeling"

"Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
"Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
Squeal.
"Whoaaaaa!"
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
"Yikes! Oh **** this is sketchy!"
"Eek! My hands are starting to hurt...."
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

BANG!

Graunch!
Crunch!
"I'm flying and it isn't going to end well"

A short time later...

Thud.

A long time later ...

"Where am I? Why can't I remember my name? Or address? Ow that hurts!"

snailracer

Über Member
Fair enough, my apologies, it's nonsensical to me, I can't imagine that amount making any difference to my ability to lift/carry. Unless of course the weight with rim brakes was at my absolute tolerances. I know there's a cumulative effect with repetition but even then I would take a lot of convincing. Not that I'm about to do back to back tours, identical bar disc/rim brakes, for comparison purposes. I mean we are talking a total weight difference of about 2lbs max here.

MTBer's have been known to complain about the front disc cutting their knees when they shoulder their bikes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MTBer's have been known to complain about the front disc cutting their knees when they shoulder their bikes.
only the short ones who can't balance their bikes :thumbsup:

I have burned myself on a front disc twice now though.

snailracer

Über Member
With Disc Brakes becoming the norm it now days on All mountain bike and many road bikes as well, what effect will that have on long distance touring? how easy are they to maintain and should you go for mechanical over hydraulic.

Does the benifit of disc brakes wheels out weigh the effects of rim wear?

Would hate to be stuck in india with no brakes because I ran out of fluid.

Sparkyman
OK what about the coaster (hub) brake?
Less likely to be knocked out of shape than discs, and similarly low-maintenance, rim-friendly, weatherproof and immune to spoke breakage/bent rims. And still common on bikes in India/Africa.

jjb

Über Member

Aha, no offence caused, no apology required.But I'd say it's not nonsensical in that if I increase all my weights by 50% (as with moving from rim to disc brakes) I'll lose all the lightweight advantages I have at the moment. It doesn't make logical sense to single out this one item and disregard the weight in making the component choice.

Horses for courses though. I'm at 18kg all-in (bike, tent, clothes, shoes, etc) and descending in the Pyrenees was fine last summer - hands weary but no problems. If I had 40kg road weight, discs might be just the ticket.

MacB

Hmmm, me at 240lbs, bike about 30lbs and kit whatever it is...as you can see I'm unlikely to notice the extra couple of lbs for the disc brakes.

snailracer

Über Member
Hmmm, me at 240lbs, bike about 30lbs and kit whatever it is...as you can see I'm unlikely to notice the extra couple of lbs for the disc brakes.
Ah, but if you double the weight of your brakes, your own body weight will magically double to 480lbs - apparently ;).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
OK what about the coaster (hub) brake?
Less likely to be knocked out of shape than discs, and similarly low-maintenance, rim-friendly, weatherproof and immune to spoke breakage/bent rims. And still common on bikes in India/Africa.
I've tried it. They don't work in that context. Apart from the annoying modulator nonsense "We've fitted a device that makes your brakes rubbish for your safety" here is the short version of my experience of a 'big unit' like myself using hub braked bike to tour in some real mountains.

The grease melts, and in fact burns off, though I liked the smell, and they start to screech and scream. This gets louder. AND LOUDER. Until you notice songbirds dropping dead from out the sky ears bleeding, the sheep in the valley below starting to stampede and the shepherds and farmers peering into the sky to find the dive-bomber their ears tell them is about to attack as the hideous noise your tortured brakes are making echoes from one side of the hitherto tranquil valley.

Then suddenly, at some critical temperature which Shimano don't publish, they fade, they fade quicker than a dimmer switch at a swingers party. If you keep applying them one of two things then happens; they overheat to the extent they self destruct and with a final scream of agony lock up and spit you off the bike or, and to be honest the previous outcome is preferable, you find yourself riding in a sudden silence, broken only by wind noise and a realisation that it is your own voice shouting Anglo-Saxon monosyllables at the universe, towards that nice low wall on the hair pin bend, you know the one, the one with the REALLY HUGE sheer drop on the other side, that you are now heading towards with NO BRAKES AT ALL.

Please don't ask me how I know this. My palms are sweating writing this as it is. I'm going to go and have a lie down now.

Top Bottom